• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Landlord Tenant Law WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrylanger

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I have been searching for the statutes regarding commercial landlord tenant laws. I found the residential ones, I just can't find the commercial laws. Does anyone know? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Kerry - I don't know about Wisconsin, but in CA there aren't really any landlord tenant laws for commercial - both parties are considered to be sophisticated, it's not a residence, and the parties are supposedly on equal footing to negotiate the terms, so they don't need protection the way residential tenants might.

kerrylanger

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I think it must be the same way here. I can find all the residential statutes but no commercial.

We signed a three year lease on an office space and when the lease expired we did not sign a new one. I thought it would then convert to a month to month with the required notice being 30 days. We gave 60 days notice and now the LL wants us to continue paying rent until it is leased out. We consulted a landlord/tenant service (prior to giving notice and moving out) and they said you cannot have automatic renewals in WI.

We are talking to the attorney tomorrow. I guess I wanted to be able to do some research prior to that to ease my already overloaded mind. Going to small claims court is the last thing I needed right now. It doesn't make the holidays any easier to get through if ya know what I mean. Oh well. Chin up, right? I'm sure it can always get worse. :(

NC Old Guy

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Term conversion should be covered in the lease. Hopefully you still have it since that is what the guy in the black robe will use as his bible. Besides, you won't be going to small claims unless he files, right? If you don't have the lease, ask the landlord to provide you a copy. If it is covered in the lease to his favor, he will definitely provide it, highlighted I'm sure. If not, I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks