• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Large Files Sizes In Adobe 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
This is driving me crazy. I have Adobe 4.0 on the office machine. The laptop has Adobe 5.0. The file sizes are almost 6 times as large with 5.0 as with 4.0 on the same job options/settings.

A final inspection file with the 442, 3 photos and an invoice are 175kb with 5.0 and only 38.5kb with 4.0

Normally, I wouldn't care as I have a cable modem..but when your out in the field using the slooow cell phone hook-up paying by the MB, I'd like the smaller file sizes. I'd go back to 4.0 but the wife threw away my Adobe 4.0 CD........don't even ask/go there.....

Ben

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
Try writing to the distiller instead of the adobe printer. It works for me.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I always use Distiller instead of Writer as it really does produce much smaller files than Writer. I think I found the problem. Even though I set up the resolution for color photos and black and white images in Distiller under a new job options name, my appraisal software was not reflecting the changes. I had to go through Clickforms and set-up the Distiller printer properties there even though the jobs option names were the same in both Distiller and Clickforms. Somehow, the Distiller printer had higher resolution, thus larger files sizes, in Clickforms. I can't figure it out because, as I stated before, they both were using the same Job Option name for the printer and I just assumed that Distiller would use the settings under the Job Option name I chose in Clickforms. Evidently not.

Oh well, it's fixed and the files sizes are smaller and easier to transmit over the cell phone.

Thanks again,

Ben

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
Ken ... I had a similar problem when I upgraded ... found this file on the Wintotal site on setting up Adobe for optimum file size, etc.

go to alamode and select support alamode

under tech support document library select adobe, you'll find a list of doc's, select #4107 ... I made the changes and it cut the files in half ... you may want to give it a look.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Ben-- some software programs react differently with Distiller and don't get their settings pushed through. Just open Distiller and choose your default settings and close Distiller down. That will at least choose your default job options when a particular program doesn't interact properly with Distiller.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Pat

That was the problem. Clickforms wasn't recognizing my default settings in Distiller even though the Job Option Names were the same for the Distiller Printer. I had to reset Distiller through the Printer Set-up option in Clickforms.

I thought I had it solved by just setting the Job Options in Distiller directly but that was a no go.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks