• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Laser Fax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis McGee

I just replaced my cranky plain paper fax that ate expensive cartridges with a laser fax. Great performance, faster, doesn't get stuck- cartirdges more expensive but last about 8 times as long. Worth the price (I got a Brother model aprox $299 with a mail in rebatey)

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Another solution is if you have a scanner, is to just use computer software to send and receive. I even use the same phone line and save the expense of the fax, toner, paper and phone line.

MS offers a free fax program that you can send with that is probably on your computer now. And there are many more out there.

I use Call Soft to answer my home and business phone and I love it. It send and receives faxes, does answering machine duty and since I have caller ID it can screen out most solicitors for me. It can use text to voice engines so I have a very good sounding british lady answering my phone. :) I also have an after hours message plus I can assign greetings to specific callers or phone numbers. I tried to because it would answer the fax and then found all the other great features. Best $39 I ever spent!!

They have a new version out that I have not tried yet but it offers mailboxes and works like the professional phone systems. Since I am thinking of opening a second business I am going to look into it.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I solved some of the high toner problem by obtaining the correct bottle of toner and a "soldering iron with a round cutter" to cut a hole in the cart,and then filled the cart. , put a piece of foil tape over the hole.

Of course the drum does not get renewed, but works fine.

ed in arkansas.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I bought a laser fax a couple of years ago, Brother MFC 4650. It has been great! Actually it is a fax, copier, scanner so it backs up my copier and scanne. I got it for $199 as a discontinued model from office max. A word of advise, buy the brother toner carts.. mine uses the 5000PF. I tried buying some from the "toner phoners" and they lasted about half as long as the factory version.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Damn....I did it myself...."a word of advice" hate it when someone mis-uses that word!. I just checked, wow, time really flies. I bought that fax, printer, scanner in 1999 and it was a $699 unit for $250. Have never had a problem with it!

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Thats why I write the "in" date on all my stuff.

Aging in Arkansas.ed

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
I got a Lexmark Z30 printer with combination of
color and black inkjet.

Boy!, It really eat my pocket when I do a large number
of print.

Onetime I went to a Goodwill outlet to donate some clothes, I saw somebody walking with a printer.
She want to donate a printer but the store won't accept
it, I hurriedly and ask the lady what kind of printer was that. It was a Brother Multifunction MFC 4550 printer, with toner ink. And ask the lady if I could have it, and
she said yes, and happy to dispose it. She said it got Y2K
problem and won't work. And I said its OK.

I bring it home, and download a new driver, and the
driver comes in Win98 and Win2000. Jackpot !, I got a
printer that I could print in large number and I got it for free.

I bought a printer switch so I could use my Lexmark
for very important print, and switch to my Brother
MFC 4550 for a large amount of printing.

By the way Brother MFC 4550 can print, copy,
fax and also store data

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
You say that was an inkjet rather than a laser? Must have been the earlier model of what I have. I wanted to get away from ink on the faxes because I like to highlight things on the page and it is messy with inkjet.

I am using a HP2230 now for a color printer. My old 2000c finally died. Technie guy wants it really bad for parts...guess I should give it to him. Not sure if the print heads are the same, better find that out first. It uses the same black (#10) cart but the color ones are different (#11s).

I sure didn't realize my fax, copier, printer was purchased in 1999. Darn time flys when one is busy. It has been a very good machine!

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Mike,

The print heads are NOT the same from the HP 2000 to the 2200.

I have the Brother laser fax, a Brother laser printer and a Brother Copier, Scanner and laser printer combo. All use the same toner cartridge, the TN 460. I bought bulk laser toner for $17 a refill. Just pull-out the plastic cap on the side, clean out all the old toner and dump the new stuff in. Beats the $70 new cartridges. Also watch for sales on the plain Brother lasers. Sometimes you can get them for $199 and use them for parts as the drum unit is $179 and the toner cartridges are $70 at Office Max

Ben

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I know the drums are expensive. My carts are $38 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks