• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Laser Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Calf Rope! Calf Rope!

I think I am going to buy one of the DISTO laser devices. Measured a 3,500 SF home recently where the owner was a pack rat and a rose nut. I was shredded measuring the outside trying to get past the roses. They were apparently security minded...planting stickery plants below all the windows.

Then after being left with my sleeves and pants in tatters, I went to the upstairs, which was (almost) 1 big room...no furniture- just packed from one end to the other with knickknacks & a computer. Ebay business selling trinkets to the natives. I had my sonic measurer, but there was so much junk on the walls there was not anyplace I had a good "hard" target to shoot. I kept getting errors or obviously wrong readings. I tried to stumble and bumble my way thru and even my helper finally knocked over something and I said, close enough! If it ain't, we'll use the assessors measurements!

Laser sight would really have made a difference!
P.S.- If they are making a living off eBay, I am obviously in the wrong business! They were even set up with packaging equipment for shipping.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I think you will like the Disto. ESPECIALLY on the inside!! It really shines there. I bought mine a month ago(?) and I love it. Have not picked up my tape since I bought it. BTW I bought mine because a similiar situation. Not roses but two houses with hedges and I got fed up with crawling through and behind them.

Two suggestions. If you don't have someone with you sticky notes work great on corners as a target.

Someone suggested that I make a copy of my tape measure and tape it on the back of the clip board. This works were you have a corner with a gutter for example. Gutter makes a good target but you still need to add for the distance from the gutter to the corner of the house. The disto doesn't do real well on very short distances. Thats my only problem with the Disto.

Robert Muir

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
Which model do you use?? I am looking to go more techno, gotta spend all this money I'm makin'.

Bob

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I bought the Disto Classic because of the Triangulation feature. I have mixed feeling about this feature. I am not sure if the model beneath this has the add and subtract? But that is one I wouldn't want to live without. I find that feature to be extremly useful. You can measure something and then add or subtract another dimension(s) from your first measurement.

B

Bemis Pownall

Disto Pro has a 5" ruler oon the back of it already.
Havent figured out the triangulation but the add subtract is a real sweet feature.
May never figure out the triangulation thinngy my dog chewed up the manual.

havent touched my tape measure since I recienved my Disto! :icecream:

A

Anonymous

Bemis,

If you want a copy of the pythagorean function (triangulation) instructions, email me and I will send them to you.

My email address is: [email protected]

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Disto Pro has a 5" ruler oon the back of it already.

Bemis is right, the Classic has a ruler on the back too. I just find it to short many times. For example it is not uncommon for a gutter to be 6"-12" from the edge of the house. The gutter makes a great target but the Disto cant measure the short distance to the gutter, expecially if they are white. That's why I want to add the tape to the clipboard.

Jay Wolfson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I used a section of my old fiberglass tap as a carry strap for measuring things less than 1.3' which seems to be the disto's limit. I've been very happy with the purchase but you do need to change the way you measure a little.

Jesse Michaels

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
I went to a retailer to try the Disto measuring device. Tried to use the triangulation method (Pythagorean) and was unable to hold the device steady enough to keep the dot within three feet of target (opposite end of wall).

Am I missing something? How do you steady the laser beam?

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
How do you steady the laser beam?
Cut back on the caffiene. :lol:
But seriously, there was another long thread on this device. I think the answer is, tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks