• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Latest H.o.a. Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
So, when you appraise one if these properties, do you say there's a garage, or some sort of carport.

I always love overkill by the *authorities*.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
as someone who has served on several HOA boards (and still does) i find this a little hard to believe. i have yet to serve on a board, be it for condos or SFR, that would give the unilateral power to do something like this. everything has to be ran by the association attorneys first and then put up for a vote, and good luck getting the owners to respond.

the board i currently serve on had to literally go door to door to get owners to sign or send in their cards just so we could have a quorum for the annual meeting, and those cards are only good for 5 years. out of 72 units we average 3 owners showing up at the annual meeting in person, never more than 5 have been there in the 11 years i have been on the board, and they are always the same people and they always complain about the same things that can't be changed without a 75% approval from the unit owners. we have never had more than 1 owner show up to the bi-monthly meetings we hold. last year we had new siding installed and the only way it was approved was to send out yet another letter 3 weeks before it was supposed to start telling the owners if they did not respond the only thing the board could legally do was replace the existing cedar siding with new cedar siding at a cost of approximately 3-4x that of vinyl and then issue an assessment.

i agree in this case their actions are over the top but i have no sympathy for those who buy properties in a HOA and fail to read the rules, then cry bloody murder when they can't do something they want that is in violation of the association rules. they were provided to you when you purchased, and most likely discussed BEFORE you purchased, so you have no one to blame but yourself.

as an appraiser i hate most management companies as they have all outsourced their job of disseminating information to those who need it such as we do (# of units, # of rentals, etc). instead of taking a couple minutes to answer 3-5 questions i now have to get the cost, get approval from the client, buy the information (which is never complete) and wait to get my money back when i am paid for the appraisal. i have seen fees from $25 to over $300 for what is essentially an automated process handled by a website or computer with no human interaction. talk about a cash cow...

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
If...I lived there...I would tell the HOA to "POUND SAND". As the article states, if this were challenged in a court of law a judge would most likely strike it down.

What you probably have here is a bunch of older retired people that serve on the HOA board and are typically home all day. For people that work all day.......the HOA can pound sand.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
good grief that is the stupidest reason i ever heard of and the stupidest possible solution.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I have also served on HOA boards and found it a thankless job. Finally gave up on the one for the subdivision I live in. No enforcement! Neighborhood is going to pot. Oh wait, we actually voted on legalizing pot here so probably shouldn't say that anymore.

I'm more and more finding most people just don't give a damn and many prefer to live like pigs. Too bad really as the intent is to improve the quality of life and preserve property values. In the case of my HOA...the leadership is not old retired curmudgeons but rather young tattooed men and women who believe in less is better and let everyone do what ever they want. That's the reason I quit.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
More fake news --This article is not correct the HOA wants garage doors closed !! Some of the HOAS In Irvine will call the owner if the door is left open for more than 30 minutes !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks