• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Laundry In Enclosed Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debra

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Greetings!

I'm working on USDA that has the washer/dryer in the enclosed porch right off of the Kitchen. Question is does the report need to be made subject-to washer/dryer moved to heated area or heating/cooling added to the enclosed porch or what? Thanks!

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
No.
1st, w/d are not real estate. They are personal items.
2nd, w/d Are not required items, like a stove.
3rd, many w/d are located in basements, which are not heated areas anyway.

GA Benny

Professional Status
State
Georgia
PER FHA HANDBOOK 4000.1

The Appraiser must notify the Mortgagee of the deficiency of MPR or MPS if the permanently installed heating system does not:

• automatically heat the living areas of the house to a minimum of 50 degrees Fahrenheit in all GLAs, as well as in non-GLAs containing building or system components subject to failure or damage due to freezing;

• provide healthful and comfortable heat or is not safe to operate;

• rely upon a fuel source that is readily obtainable within the subject’s geographic area;

• have market acceptance within the subject’s marketplace; and

• operate without human intervention for extended periods of time.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Greetings!

I'm working on USDA that has the washer/dryer in the enclosed porch right off of the Kitchen. Question is does the report need to be made subject-to washer/dryer moved to heated area or heating/cooling added to the enclosed porch or what? Thanks!

The question is will the heating and cooling keep the area above 50 degrees with leaving the door open to the living area?

GA Benny

Professional Status
State
Georgia
I would assume it really depends if the plumbing is exposed beyond just a typical outdoor spicket. In a lot of southern states, as well as southwestern states where it is unusual to have temperatures consistently below freezing, this may be less of a concern. Tennessee, where the original poster is located, I don't know, may be a judgment call, particularly if the "enclosed porch" is insulated. A lot of factors to consider actually.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Good point; is a washer/dryer a building or system component? I don't think so. A lot of houses built in the 60's & 70's here have laundy areas off carports that are enclosed, but not connected to the residence, or separated by a wall so there is no interior access to the house. These areas are not typically heated.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Good point; is a washer/dryer a building or system component?
Agreed, those items are personal property. The question is whether or not there is room for and connections for a washer or dryer within the actual main part of the house (or basement) and if not, whether that is considered to be a deficiency that would affect value/marketability in that market...in any case it is not a MPR

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The plumbing supply & waste lines to the washer are a building component that is part of a necessary system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks