• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Lawsuits regarding change in requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbells

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Minnesota
So, since I started my classes and took my test for Appraiser Trainee the requirements have changed at least twice. This includes both the education and hours requirements. I realize they are doing this to limit the number of Appraisers out there working and it has nothing to do with skill. But, the only honorable way to do this would have been to grandfather in those of us who have already started the courses or completed the testing. They didn't and the requirements go up every time I come close to meeting them. Anyone know of a class action lawsuit going on the fix this?

Boonders

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
I don't think this comment will help you get alot of responses:

I realize they are doing this to limit the number of Appraisers out there working and it has nothing to do with skill.

I'm fully behind the more stringent requirements. It requires appraisers to have more invested in their license and more reason to perform ethically.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Ms. Bells,.....It is not so clear what you mean by "changing" the requirements everytime you "get close" to meeting them. When did you start training ? These new education and hours requirements were announced for the entire national appraiser community to grasp and understand......about 3 years ago !

You should be able to avoid the increased reqs by completing your obligations of CE class-hours and valuation report experience-hours within the next 27 days.

Class action law suit ?.......you've got to be kidding, yes ?

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
No sympathy from me. The requirements announcements have been out for a long time. This is a profession, and the requirements ARE designed to create better appraisers, not keep poor trainees out of the business, never mind that they're trying to get into a business that has tanked, so their market research skills can't be that great. :angry:

bbells

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Minnesota
Right, and we are in Iraq because Saddam attacked us on 9/11.

Boonders

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
Huh? I take it you really don't want assistance with the requirements...just want to stir something up?

bbells

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Minnesota
Huh? I take it you had nothing really to add to my question and so just decided to give an opinion that wasn't requested.

James Micozzi

Professional Status
State
New York
Right, and we are in Iraq because Saddam attacked us on 9/11.

Maybe if you had put more effort into obtaining your education and experience instead of just b****ing about some class action lawsuit, as if the appraisal profession owes you something. What a crock!!!!!! :new_newbie:

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
I don't think a class action lawsuit is possible. As the new requirements have been adopted by the states as law, the lawsuit would have to be against the states, and I don't think that can happen.

Each state has made laws regarding adoption of the new requirements over the past several years. Some states are grandfathering, some are not. Some are implementing on a staggered basis.

Michigan has taken a January 1, 2008 or else stance. I am not sure what Minnesota has decided.

Although this is a good place to learn many aspects of the appraiser profession, I don't think any of us here are qualified to answer a question regarding how to sue a state because they implemented a law. Nor have any of us heard of such a thing, I daresay.

Please remember to obey the rules of the forum, everybody. I'd hate to see a new poster blocked from coming here because of temper flare-ups.

Webbed Feet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Canada
Mr. Anderson,

LOL Well I guess our trainee doesn't need much help or support here. But I'll toss some in anyway!

What a surprise! A General Certified in favor of a new set of rules that makes it far more difficult to become a General Certified, so therefore restricting entry into that license level, while at the same time these new rules do not even require that a "Licensed" residential appraiser have a grade school degree... Gosh, who da thunk you'd have any other attitude or opinion about it under those circumstances?

Sorry, my view, what you are really "behind" is just more stringent standards to restrict entry to being able to obtain the General Certified license level and that's it. It has nothing to do with ethics or having squat "invested" for anyone other than commercial appraisers. If appraisers want more reasons for all the other appraisers to perform more ethically I suggest we all lobby for enforced prison terms for those appraisers who do not do so. Along with enforced prison terms for those who seek out such appraisers. Because you are barking up the wrong tree if you beleive for a moment the changes in licensing rules for obtaining a license will have any such affect on ethics.

What is really going on is once again residential appraising has been kicked into the **** pot. That is not progress my friend. It is license protectionism pure and simple. In case you did not notice, the "new rules" have done nothing to improve the quality of the crappy continuing education we all must suffer through to renew our licenses. LOL!!! Yah need a four year degree, but almost no college classes qualify for CE in most States. Not even statistics! No, real progress would have been ALL types of real estate appraisal licenses requiring a four year degree. Not just yours. Real progress would have been moving to a one license system to boot, so everyone would have had to meet higher standards in the immediate future.

But in a way you are correct. Our trainee friend was wrong about one thing. This is not about limiting the number of appraisers "out there." It's about limiting the numbers of General Certifieds only. Other than that, the trainee was correct, this has nothing to do with skills. And certainly not ethics.

Webbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks