• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Legal 2 - 1 Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpineinc

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Legal 2 family, 100% owner occupied so owner took out second kitchen and made it a master bedroom. Full access everywhere. Appraise as SF and allow for added value in being able to use as MF? Or appraise as MF and detract value of adding kitchen? HABU conflicts here. Which way to go? Thanks.

moecraig

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
;) Seems to me, since single family are more marketable & appraise higher than Multi-family, may want to suggest to lender that borrower change C/O to single family since he removed kitchen....just a thought

alpineinc

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Actually, MFs are higher here - nice, urban area - adds to difficulty!

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
It is what it is. A legal 2 unit property missing one kitchen.
If this property were for sale who would it appeal to, certainly not your typical SFR purchaser. I do not know your market but it would seem to me that the likely buyer would be an investor and he/she would demand a discount for the missing kitchen

hal380

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Ok will stick my neck out. If/since the field card calls it a 2 family dwelling, I would appraise it as a two family. I would then deduct the "cost to cure" the missing kitchen. This cost to cure probably would not be too great as I assume the plumbing is still in the walls and a set of HomeDepot kitchen cabs. (I really dont care what the cost to cure is but I am surmising that the cost would be a few Thou.)

I have had similar situations where a legal 2 fam is being used as a illegal 3. I apparise it as a 2 fam, with the 2nd floor unit having 2 levels and more bedrooms than the 1st fl.

Now that I am thinking of it I think I would check with the zoning officer. Possibly it was a grandfathered 2 family, and could not be returned to 2 fam configuration. I realize this concern may be a bit of a reach, but you gotta go to city hall anyway, so just ask one more question.

Regards to all

Hal

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I think Hal is on the right track.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Gee thanks Mike, Just because Hal uses big words and is excessively verbose he get the confirmation???? <_<

hal380

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Now wait one durn minute Fred, dont get your feathers Ruffelled (pun intended) I dont use big words and the verbyosity is not excessively verbose.

Was gonna buy you a beer but now I won't. :p

Take care guy :beer:

Hal

alpineinc

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Thank you Hal and everyone. I was thinking of doing it as a 2, but just wanted to make sure. This board is an invaluable resource! Again, thanks.

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
lots of good comments, but back to the basics ... this is a highest and best use issue first and foremost ... you'll have to evaluate it both ways to deterime the H & B use and since it appears that both uses are permissible, you would appraise based upon the use that returns the highest present value (provided it meets all 4 tests) and hense the greatest return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks