• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Lets get together!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Schwartz

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hi guys its about 1:00 AM I just finished doing research for tommorow.
We the Appraisal community needs to get ourselves together in fighting mortgage companies and lenders that act irresponsible. I had two calls today from companies looking for an appraiser who can provide a job in less than 24 hours, because they want to close a loan before christmas. Are these people nuts. : I told them NO and they are not looking to protect there clients. It seems like everyday this is occuring more and more. The Lenders and Realtors have PACS in Washington DC., give plenty of PR and even advertise on radio and TV about there services to the public. We Appraisers have several National Associations who collect alot of money from us and do nothing at all to inform the Public that we actually are there to protect the consumer. Everybody thinks we are an unecessary evil preventing loans from closing and when the real estate market falls and it will soon, once again we will be the scape goats of the industry.
How can we band together? Maybe all of us belonging to this Forum can form our own PAC. Lets put our heads together .

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Ron,

Excellent idea. It's unfortunate that even with ALL appraisers we still would not have enough to fight the banks and Realtors. I guess it's similar to ramming your head into a brick wall.

It's going to be a long fight between the banks and Realtors to keep the banks out of listing and selling real estate. Of course, the Realtors have been mortgage brokers for years now. The large number of members with the big bucks for political payoffs will win - I don't really know which side will come out ahead. Appraisers, even if all could get together, would have about as much effect as a gnat or mosquito.

IMO ($.02): Attend your state board meetings - ALL of them. File complaints on the truly fraudulent, misleading or incompetent appraisals you can get your hands on (notice I did say 'appraiser'). Doing this will help get rid of the number hitters, some of which have no idea what they are doing. Teach/talk to everyone you can about the importance of having a REAL appraisal completed for themselves that does not involve a lender or Realtor. Constantly contact all media and legislators, local, state and national, regarding the pressures put upon us to do illegal appraisals. There are other areas you can become active in that would help. Being involved somewhere along the line is the most important factor. Pick a fight and go for it.

I would absolutely love to put together enough of us to do some sort of national ad campaign as I believe that would be the most effective thing we could do. That would cost a lot of money. I don't know if we could pull enough together to do that. I hope others will post their opinions of how we can actually DO SOMETHING.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
And join one of the professional organizations. They are volunteer groups and it takes members working together to accomplish anything. So attend a chapter meeting of your choice, ask questions, volunteer to make phone calls or send emails or just to put stamps on evelopes. But do join and do something!

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
As some of you know I have been asking lots of questions about which group is actually working and doing something for the appraiser. I have about made up my mind but thats another subject. I agree with Jo Ann, find someone that you can get behind and get involved.

I have also suggested that we form a group and somehow collect letters from appraisers of their experiences with lender pressure. Showing examples of this, naming names and dates and then forward them to whoever? Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, or who? I am willing to help do this but I can't do it alone.

There are other things that we as appraisers can do too. I asked for ideas the response I got was .... well almost none existent. The one thing I have learned is Appraisers are just like everyone else. The majority are all talk and no action. I am not political savy person and don't have the talent to be up in public speaking. I have other skill that I would offer to further our case.

I agree with you Ron and wish you luck!

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
Hi All,

Yes, it's a tough world and not always does everything go our way. Pointing the finger at others and laying blame on our clients, cutomers and colleagues will do little, if anything, to solve problems.

Constantly, there are calls to get together and do something. Consistently, there are questions posed about what professional organizations are doing for their members. Regularly, members of professional associations point out the value of their membership and urge others to take advantage of the benefits. You will accomplish nothing by sitting on the sidelines and expecting others to fix what you find wrong.

Although the following article concerns the National Association of REALTORS, and is a little bit dated, much the same effort is being made by the Appraisal Institute, the American Society of Appraisers and the National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers. You can point fingers and complain, or make a committment and take action.

READ THIS

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
About 25% of our non number hitters in NW Ark are Realtors, work on several projects(I am on lock box and MLS) and we have a Realtors Appraisal chapter.

The Realtor members total about 650,000, close to the 3rd largest trade orig. in the USA.

Need I say more.

ED in Arkansas.

Are some of them nuts-sure.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
These Investigations that U read about, House Hold Finance, Conseco Mortgage Co. getting busted. HOW do U think these things come to LIGHT? I personnally have to believe that it comes from letters, phone Calls, recieved by District Attorneys Senators, Congress, Governors, Bank Commisioners ETC. When Pam writes they probablly ignore it, then Lee Ann writes & they say geese another whiner.Then Frank writes & they say hey maybe there is something here, Then JoAnn writes & that letter has been forwarded from some state senator saying look into this she votes. Then another letter comes, then another then one with something about a petition. Then a bunch of paper about a thing called USPAP. Then its a bunch of clipping from papers showing Repo's. MY POINT IS it takes each & everyone of us to send letters, call ETC & NOT ONE OF US WILL KNOW WHICH LETTER OR PHONE CALL OR INTERVIEW OR ARTICLE SET IT OFF BUT EVERYONE OF US WILL KNOW SOMETHING HAPPENED>

Residential Appraisal Ser

Sophomore Member
Forum: This thread has a life of its own and every 3 months repeats itself.

For those who want to take part as Frank and others have said there are many outlets. One of the major problems is many of the organizations are working at x purposes and on major bills that would benefit the appraisal industry, cant get together due to self interest, lack of money, but most of all lack of clout, without self interest involved.

PROJECT: A bill is being written in Congress for the 3rd introduction. Any and all suggestions that would incorprate protection, for the appraisers integerty would be welcome. When we receive those suggestions we will review them and if feesable, will put them in the new bill.

2. Congressmen NYE R 18th district Ohio is rumbling on the Hill about writing a bill that would not bode well for apprasiers. Any Ohio apprasiers if you would contact me, I would like to talk to you. If you are in the 18th District that would be better.

Last: only way that apprasiers can protect their interest is by fighting for them and becoming active. Do that and we all win. Words are just wind unless you are willing to put effort behind them.
Work that all organizations present a united front with money, and enough clout in the Federal and state level to level the playing field. REMEMBER THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN. WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY NO ONE PLAYS FAIR, LENDERS AND REALTORS INCLUDED. THEY HAVE LOBBYEST ON THE HILL TO PROTECT THEIR INTEREST NOT OURS.

William Sentner
President
American Guild of Appraisers OPEIU AFL-CIO
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks