• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Let's Solve The Roberta Ouellette Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Cause

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Mitch Weiss said:
"Since 1994, consumers have filed 23 complaints against Richard Chapman, an appraiser from Emerald Isle, N.C. His license was suspended for five years in a case in which he was accused of submitting appraisals with "misleading information" and "inaccurate data." Since his license was reinstated in 2000, 11 new complaints have arrived.

"Just because you're disciplined, that doesn't make you a bad appraiser," said Chapman, who estimated he's been involved in 80,000 appraisals since 1980 and trained about 60 appraisers. "I may have done some technical things wrong, but I've done a good job. I'm proud of my work."

The North Carolina board dismissed two of the 11 recent complaints outright, while two others were dismissed with warnings to be more careful. Six were dismissed on the condition that Chapman complete appraiser education classes, and he was reprimanded for one complaint.

"There no habitual felon law for appraisers," said board attorney Roberta Ouellette, defending the agency's action. "Why should he get super-zapped for doing a lot of little things that a lot of other appraisers are doing every day but haven't had complaints turned in on them?"
We need to take action to have this person removed from a position of public trust. It is time to start a letter writing campaign to get this problem taken care of.

Contact Info:
NC Appraisal Board:
http://ncappraisalboard.org/contact-us/contactus.htm
Governor of NC:
http://www.governor.state.nc.us/Contact.asp
NC Dept of Commerce:
http://www.nccommerce.com/en/AboutDOC/ContactUs/
NC General Assembly House Standing Committee on Financial Institutions:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascrip...iewCommittee&sActionDetails=House+Standing_25
NC Genral Assembly House Select Committee on Rising Home Foreclosures:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascrip...=ViewCommittee&sActionDetails=House+Select_99
email address to contact all of NC General Assembly members:
[email protected]

I may not be a resident of North Carolina, but I do business there. I encourage everyone to write early and write often.

Last edited:

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Some of you new people don't know this forum's history with the NC appraisal board. I assume this is all still in the forum archives so to bring yourself up to date, do a search of posts from about 4 years ago using the "Tom Hilderbrandt case". David C. Johnson and my own experience too.

Let me give you a brief history review starting with myself. I live in Virginia and was general certified in both NC and VA by taking the exam and experience credit. VA and NC had no reciprocal agreement which I thought was stupid. I have done a number of appraisals with half the property in VA and the other half in NC. How could I be qualified in a federally related transaction in one state and not qualified in the other to appraise one legal estate? I wrote letters to both governors explaining the situation and within 3 months a reciprocal agreement came about. My pay off was that the NCAB wrote me and required that I either take double CE, they did not or had not approved the same CE classes that VA did, or switch my license to a reciprocal license. I did that and solved that problem.
Then the Virginia board passed a law requiring the NC appraisers licensed in VA by reciprocal agreement to take the VA 3 hour bi-annual law update class which caused a food fight with the NCAB. License renewal in NC is June and about the 1st of May one year about 8 years ago I received a letter informing me that the NCAB was resending the reciprocal agreement with Virginia and that I had 30 days to take two 7 hour CE classes in NC to switch my license back to license by exam. In the same letter the NCAB announced a new reciprocal agreement with California. I kid you not! VA and NC share a 450 mile long border, had no reciprocal agreement but the NCAB had a reciprocal agreement with California 2,500 miles west. I said the hell with it and never renewed my NC license although I live 5 miles from the NC line and my office is less than 2 miles north of the NC line effectively reducing my marketing area by 50%.

Then there was the Tom Hilderbrandt case the most infamous of all. Tom Hilderbrandt was an excellent appraiser from Greensboro, NC, and he did condemnation work. He did an assignment around the Greensboro airport in a condemnation case, Tom was not an MAI, and in the process made an MAI look bad because the judge in the case agreed with Tom. The local MAI click had this condemnation work locked up and didn't like some up and coming non AI type cutting in on their turf so they turned Tom into the NCAB for some supposed violation. (He didn't do it the way they do it.) Tom had been giving the NCAB a hard time over some of their policies and for that reason he opted for a court hearing on his case in front of a judge.
The hearing lasted 3 days and the judge found that Tom had not committed any infraction whatsoever and so ruled. References to this case I assume are in the archives of this forum.
The rules of the NCAB allow them to ignore court decisions and rule on their own accord, and that is just what they did. They ruled Tom guilty in total disregard of the courts finding and required him to take education and I believe suspended his license for 6 months but I am not sure about that. MS Ouellette was involved in that case to the hilt.

Then there was old David C. Johnson. If you missed knowing David C. Johnson you missed a treat on this forum. Do a search on old David. He is a good appraiser, very sharp but he is a conspiracy and lefty kook but one of the few likable kooks I ever met. David's crime was that he made an SRA look bad and the local AI click on the board decided to make him pay the price. Another case of the AI click running the board using the board to protect their turf. You have got to do it the AI way or you are guilty.

In the Tom Hilderbrandt case hundreds of appraisers from all over the country wrote the NC governor and legislature. There were even stories in the Greensboro paper on the case. The politicos circled the wagons and protected their turf. Sounds like some eastern European police state.

This ain't all folks. They raised fees on appraisers and built themselves a 3 million dollar delux office complex. Look at the picture of director Humpries in the newspaper article and check out his oval office and view of the white house ground there in Raleigh. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Last edited:

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I for one, miss these guys, these guys taught us so much in very simple terms. Best thing about them, was; they'd take time with newbies.

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
Tom Hilderbrandt taught the best USPAP course I ever attended. I think that as a result the legal counsel for the NCAB resigned and went to work for the department of transportation. That lasted for one year and she came back to the NCAB.

I wonder where Tom is these days. The last I heard he and his wife bought a boat in Australlia. He said that if she could stand to be couped up with him after floating back from there he would buy a real boat to retire on.

mopickled

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Hey Tom -
Why can't the states adopt a system similar to VA?? This would solve a plethora of problems in my opinion regarding holding people accountable and a solid checks and balance system. If the states would adopt this we could put AMC's out of business and bring back some credibility to the title of "State Certified"!!!

By their lack of action the NCAB (Ouelette) has basically told me that I have much more to fear by coming in short on an appraisal and basically firing myself - because this lender is not going to call me back.
But if my report gets reviewed and I make "mistakes" that just happen to inflate the value - that's alright - just promise you want do it again - and again - and again.
:shrug:

Hank Outlaw

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This is getting very frustrating. I enjoy this career enough not to just give up and walk away, but it is ridiculous to have such events taking place. I just read a residential appraisal report prepared by a NC appraisal instructor (USPAP approved instructor) that appraised a custom built, 4400+ sq. foot home built about 4 years ago in a nice residential development... and the Cost Approach was not developed! WHY? No explanation.

Another appraiser appraised a 4000+ square foot waterfront home in coastal NC "finding" a value of $1,200,000, using comps 20 to 40 miles away, with a Cost Approach coming in at around $935,000... new construction. Then in the sales history of the comps he indicated that the prior sale of two sales (one at the same price as the recent sale, the other about $90,000 higher than the more recent sale) were at or above the more current sales, but he could not ascertain why the former prices were higher than the latter... hummm... maybe because the market is DECLINING! ~ with no time adjustments to the comps. I did a retrospective appraisal on this property dated within 5 months of his, with a value about $300,000 below his, i.e., right at the Cost Approach. And this guy apparently has a trainee, as he referred to some assistance in the report.

Is this the way this profession is always going to be? Can the same be said of CPAs and other professionals? Just where do you go to get to the root of the solution? It sounds like filing a complaint is a moot point!

My rant for the day,

Hank

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
This is getting very frustrating. I enjoy this career enough not to just give up and walk away, but it is ridiculous to have such events taking place. I just read a residential appraisal report prepared by a NC appraisal instructor (USPAP approved instructor) that appraised a custom built, 4400+ sq. foot home built about 4 years ago in a nice residential development... and the Cost Approach was not developed! WHY? No explanation.

Another appraiser appraised a 4000+ square foot waterfront home in coastal NC "finding" a value of $1,200,000, using comps 20 to 40 miles away, with a Cost Approach coming in at around $935,000... new construction. Then in the sales history of the comps he indicated that the prior sale of two sales (one at the same price as the recent sale, the other about $90,000 higher than the more recent sale) were at or above the more current sales, but he could not ascertain why the former prices were higher than the latter... hummm... maybe because the market is DECLINING! ~ with no time adjustments to the comps. I did a retrospective appraisal on this property dated within 5 months of his, with a value about $300,000 below his, i.e., right at the Cost Approach. And this guy apparently has a trainee, as he referred to some assistance in the report.

Is this the way this profession is always going to be? Can the same be said of CPAs and other professionals? Just where do you go to get to the root of the solution? It sounds like filing a complaint is a moot point!

My rant for the day,

Hank

I reviewed an appraisal completed by a former NCAB member. it was the worst appraisal I had ever seen. The newest skippy could have done better. None of the sales(comps) even came close to looking like the subject. Also, to opine a market value, he added all the adjusted values of the comps together and divided by the number of comps. great example of reconcilliation.:rof:

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
he added all the adjusted values of the comps together and divided by the number of comps

You cannot be serious! :Eyecrazy:

Perhaps we need an exam to qualify all board members in every state.

mopickled

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I have often thought of filing litigation against the NCAB for "defamation" of the license they are supposed to uphold. For destroying the profession and business that I have worked very hard to uphold for the last 15 years only to be demoralized and stress to no end over a job I used to love and the complete disrespect we get from lenders, agents and our own licensing board.

We all feel helpless vs the establishment - we have no voice as a group and NCPAC appears to have turned into a pawn for the NCAB.

Anyone know a good attorney in Raleigh that has connections we can get to Governor Easley with??? I'm thinking class action All we really want is our lives back and a little respect for the work we do.

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
We need to take action to have this person removed from a position of public trust. It is time to start a letter writing campaign to get this problem taken care of.

Who? Chapman, or Ouellette?

Sounds like the appraiser should be retired - I don't know him, but have seen his name in the AppraiseReport (NCAB's newsletter) for discipline issues in the past. But Robertta isn't the lone issue behind the rulings. She's just the legal counsel and is simply doing as she is told I imagine. I can't see her being the root to these types of issues, but she is the one that is quoted and acts as a PR person when it comes to legal actions of the board - but again, I think she simply does what the board and the Chairman tell her to do when everything is said and done. And is then sent out to the press and everyone else that questions the NCAB or their actions as the lightening rod for the rest of the board.

We also need to retire the life-long appointee scheme that has brought us and the NCAB from 1990ish to today here in NC...and rotate some genuine "citizen servants" through the NCAB every few years. We're FINALLY getting rid of Easley this year...so here's hoping we can see some NCAB turnover under the new governor's upcoming term(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks