• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Letters Of Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Simpson

Wanna find out where you rate among your clients & colleagues? Ask them for a letter of recommendation sometime!

I've met all the requirements for alternate experience/qualifications, and I'm seeking a waiver from the Director of the Real Estate Licensing Department in my state to sit for the Real Estate Brokers Examination. Clock hours, and all documentation have been met & compiled with one exception...I'm required to submit 5 letters from "business associates describing from personal knowledge the qualifications and experience of the applicant (me)."

Simultaneously, I'm attempting to get on the VA's approved list, and I'm required to "submit a minimum of three letters from appraisers attesting to the applicants (me) qualifications using references listed on the application. These letters must be current and no more than six months old."

I've put off requesting these letters till last as I knew going in it was going to be like pulling teeth, and as advertised...it is. Everybody seems to want to play Monte Hall--Let's Make A Deal. With one exception--everybody wants something in return!!!

I run a business with my wife, have for quite a few years now, and don't have 'appraiser associates,' I have competitors who're disinclined to assist their competition. My clients are so busy right now--asking them for a letter seems to be a mild irritant--at least they haven't responded yet.

I think this is a silly part of the process, afterall, do they expect applicants to submit letters which reflect negatively upon themselves? Oh well, I guess I'll just contact everybody I know in hopes of getting 5 letters.

-Mike

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Mike,

I have been looking at the VA list for some time now. Let me know how it goes. The one thing that I have been cringing about is getting the letters from other appraisers as well.

Ryan

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Mike,

I have downloaded the application and read through it. Just waiting on other things prior to submitting it.

Ryan

liznindy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Mike,

I don't know how long you have been appraising and this may be irrelavent....but I suggest you ask your mentor/trainer/supervisory appraiser for a letter of recommendation.

I did and got a 'glowing' letter about how great I was, because after all, I had such a great teacher!! My mentor was very flattering in the letter, after he made sure to list all of his qualifications....Rather funny, I thought! :rolleyes:

I did appreciate his taking the time to provide the letter.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Mike I ran into that a few years back. I had 2 mortgage brokers send over some "sky high refis" immediately after saying good words about me for a reference. I have a new way around the reference gauntlet. For "real" references I use builders, developers and retired RE agents now. For AMC references I use other AMCs......some don't like it, but I'm not about to give them my client list. It seems almost idiotic for firms to ask an appraiser for a reference these days......Can't you hear a mortgage broker saying "He's wonderful........ he's courteous, prompt and he always hits our number." :) Retired RE agents love typing reference letters....makes them feel important. Using a peer as a reference makes it very interesting.....what if you nailed the guy once on a field review? :)

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
B) I had the good fortune to have a great mentor, and, when applying for the VA fee panel he gave me a referrence as did 4 other local appraisers. I had the good fortune to have taught all of them pre-license courses when licensing became a requirement. As for lenders, I would use my oldest and most reliable as a referrence. I would never use an AMC as a referrence.

Don

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Mike,

Most people are realllllllllly busy. When I was a teacher I was frequently asked to write letters for college apps. etc. My response was...give me a bullet list of your accomplishments & I'll be glad to do it. 50% of the time I would never get the bullet list...my assumption, the letter was not really needed after all.

Suggest you put together a list of bullet items, or even write several different letters and give them to those folks. I bet you will get your letters of reference. I did this once, they cut out my letter, copied it onto their letterhead (crooked I might add) and sent it to me. (I cut off their letter head and signature and copied it all onto a straight letter...looked good.)

If yoy give it to them in MSWord on a floppy, they can alter it as they need and shoot out a letter very quickly.

Mike Simpson

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm getting the needed letters, but thought my fellow posters might be interested to see what happens when one asks for a letter of recommendation.

I did send out letters & e-mails with bullet points...early feedback indicated this would be a necessity.

I hadn't asked my former mentor for a letter or other appraisers I've worked with in the past as I felt a little guilty. Guilty for not staying in contact with them. I've tended to ask for these letters from those I've had a closer contact with.

This has been a self examination of sorts...I'm going to finish that letter tonight I started many years ago to my mentor. The one thanking him for all the valuable instruction and guidance. I've also resolved to contact others I haven't spoken to for a long time. I won't be asking them for a letter of recommendation, however, I just wanna know how they've been.

-Mike

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I had letters from three appraisers, one loan officer, and my pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks