• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Lexmark Suing Small Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:evil: :evil:
I like how he clearly defines the lines: Lexmark(the bad guys) and XXXX(the Good Guys).

Hewlitt Packard had introduced a time limited chip that precluded refilling their cartriges :evil: :evil: after the expiration date, as I understand it, this also caused some cartriges to 'go dead' on their original purchasors :evil: :evil: :evil: .

I am fine with the need to chage for original technology, and really going afater folks who rip off the intellectual property involved (unti the patent runs out :twisted: ) but this biz of a pound of flesh for every refill is HOCKEY PUCKY.

I fully concurr with the EU's take that precluding refills causes greater environmental harm all for the sake of a (bunch) of bucks :evil: .

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
refill just before it runs out.
works in arkansas
ed

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Ed:

You all in Arkansas might just have been lucky enough to have 'old' cartridges settin on the shelves.. them new fangled ones can cause you problems.

Sometimes it is a blessin to be back-assward :wink:

Seriously some of thenew ones self destruct :evil:

David Mullen

The EU has the right idea and maybe our Sierra Club will pick up the ball in this country.

I tried to post on that ZDnet site. Played their silly registration game and wondered why they do that and then realized they are using it to add to their junk email address database. Disgusting.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Geez,

I hope the guys at Brother don't try this stuff. Since all of my clients are now PDF, my last holdout switched this year, I no longer use the HP2200. Yep, the IV lines are gone. No more color printing in Ben V's office. I now have three Brother machines ( printer, fax/printer and copier/printer/scanner,) that all use the same $70 TN 460 toner cartridge. Only I can buy the supersized bottle of bulk toner for $17 from a refiller. All I have to do is pull the plastic plug out on the side of the cartridge and dump the toner in. None of that crazy drilling stuff involved like those HP things....

Death to chips.

A tip for HP 2000, 2200 users, always keep your old cartridges. If you get a cartridge with a bad chip or one that just plain fails and is still full and just have to get that report out in express mail , take the bottom with the chip off an old one of the same color, and snap it on the new cartridge. The ink level monitor won't work, but it will print until the cartridge is empty. There are also other ways of reusing out of date cartridges by resetting the date on your computer to fool the old chip but that's another story.

Ben

Larry Lyke

In the scenario being posited, does that make my toner cartridge the author of my appraisal that it just printed? And the copyrightholder?

Geez. Pretty dense.

I'm still using my HP-4 printer. You can reprogram it for the rest of your life. It's 10 years old in March. A cartridge cost $85-100 and it prints about 4,400 pages per cartridge. You can hardly beat that cost.

Of course, I do beat it. Only 1 out of 10 of my appraisals gets actually printed. Don't even use the color printer anymore. For the file if I want it, I print black and white photos.

Even sent a big job to the court last week with black and white photos. They are better than the color photos in terms of black and white gradation.

Does anybody know if the lenders print out EDI files in color or b&w?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks