• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Licensed Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabebest

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Feedback to the following question would be great. I just got "licensed" and am concerned that lenders will only accept "certified" now since the new rule changes. I have been in this business for 4 years and hate to think that I can't make a living with my license.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Some lenders do require Certified, some do not. If I were you, I would look to upgrade to Certified ASAP, as it is likely that the Licensed level will become more of a drag on your potential client pool as the industry moves forward. The handwriting is on the wall.

johndegraff

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
certified

I only have 1 client right now that does not require a certified appraiser all the rest are certified only.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
What keeps you from being certified?

EXACTLY when were you licensed?

wannabebest

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
license vs certified

What keeps me from being certified is the new criteria. I was in the business with my certified husband and now we are divorcing which I surely didn't expect. I guess I'll have to hang up the career since it will take too long to get certified since I don't have a college education. Thanks for all who answered. When one door closes another opens.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If you are licensed you can stay that way forever....find a Certified to work for or with that can co-sign your reports (you would not be a trainee).

or

go that the college course needed Two year degree or certain required credit hours)

Certified Residential
120 hrs incl 15 hrs USPAP
300 pts min of 24 mos
Yes
28 hrs including 7 hr National USPAP Update in 2 yr CE cycle ending on May 31st of every odd numbered year
200 hours
Associate degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, Twenty-one (21) semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Introduction to Computers - Word Processing/Spreadsheets; and Business or Real Estate Law.

Jalexi

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If you are licensed you can stay that way forever....find a Certified to work for or with that can co-sign your reports (you would not be a trainee).

or

go that the college course needed Two year degree or certain required credit hours)

Certified Residential
120 hrs incl 15 hrs USPAP
300 pts min of 24 mos
Yes
28 hrs including 7 hr National USPAP Update in 2 yr CE cycle ending on May 31st of every odd numbered year
200 hours
Associate degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, Twenty-one (21) semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Introduction to Computers - Word Processing/Spreadsheets; and Business or Real Estate Law.

If she is Licensed why would she need a Certified to co-sign her reports? I am currently 7 appraisals short of the required 300 appraisals needed to upgrade to certified and in prior discussions with the Board I was told because I was a Licensed Appraiser I didn't require a supervisors signature on the remaining 35 Appraisals. I guess I will have to confirm this with the board.

Jalexi

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
What keeps me from being certified is the new criteria. I was in the business with my certified husband and now we are divorcing which I surely didn't expect. I guess I'll have to hang up the career since it will take too long to get certified since I don't have a college education. Thanks for all who answered. When one door closes another opens.

Are you Licensed or are you a Trainee? If you are Licensed I would assume you did at least 240 Appraisals in a minimum time frame of 18 months. You need at least 300 appraisals and 2 years to upgrade. Have you passed the Certified test? If you didn't take advantage of the testing prior to 01/01/08 than in addition to additional appraisals and time you would be required to pass the new Certified exam.

Yes, it is important for you to upgrade to Certified ASAP.

Last edited:

wannabebest

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I'll just keep on keeping on and try to get certified.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
A LICENSED appraiser does not need a supervisor as far as the NCAB is concerned. The problem is that fewer and fewer lenders are going to use anything less than a CERTIFIED appraiser. We already see thew NO TRINEES and we will be seeing the CERTIFIEDS ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks