• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

licensed appraisers future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Schwartz

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I AM A VERY SUCCESSFUL AND HAPPY LICENSED REAL ESTATE APPRAISER HERE IN FLORIDA. I HAVE A THRIVING BUSINESS AND TAKE PRIDE IN BEING HONEST AND DO NOT PERFORM ANY JOB IF IT LOOKS OR SOUNDS FISHY TO ME, WHICH LATELY SEEMS LIKE EVERYDAY.

I HAVE QUESTION REGARDING THE FUTURE OF LICENSED APPRAISERS LIKE MYSELF.I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IN THE FUTURE THERE WILL ONLY BE REGISTERED AND CERTIFIED APPRAISERS. WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WHO ARE ALREADY LICENSED APPRAISERS WHO WORK HARD AND HAVE THRIVING APPRAISAL PRACTICES. MOST OF THE LICENSED APPRAISERS THAT I HAVE SPOKEN TO HOPE THAT WE WILL BE GRANDFATHERED INTO CERTIFIED STATUS. ESPECIALLY SINCE I HAVE THE EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE FOR A CERTIFIED STATUS. IN ADDITION, THERE ARE DRAFTS BY THE NATIONAL BOARDS THAT WILL REQUEST A COLLEGE EDUCATION. PERHAPS THOSE OF US WHO HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE AS I AND A MAJOR IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS WILL BE ALLOWED TO USE SOME OF THOSE CREDITS AS WELL. IN ADDITION, I WAS READING IN ONE OF THE APPRAISAL THINK TANKS THAT IN THE FUTURE LICENSED APPRAISERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE REGISTERED APPRAISERS UNDER THERE DIRECTION. I AM ABOUT TO HIRE ONE IN A WEEK TO TWO AFTER HE FINISHES HIS EDUCATION AND RECEIVES HIS CERTIFICATE.

I AM VERY CONCERNED AND WANT TO BE PREPARED FOR THE FUTURE...

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
The only suggestion is to be pro-active and do what it takes to get your residential certification. It appears that the AQB want's to reduce the number of appraisers so it's better to get the certification under the old rules than try to get grandfathered under the new ones.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I am curious as to where this rumor got started? There are no plans to do away with the licensed appraiser status, at least not in my state.

There is a draft proposal from the appraiser qualification board what talks about only certified appraisers being able to train registered appraisers. Go to appraisalfoundation.org and down load all 28 pages of the draft.

Welcome to the forum, hope you find it beneficial and fun. You might not know that typing in all capital letters is considered shouting and is frowned upon. Typing appraisal reports in all caps is also the sign of an inexperienced appraiser, hope you don't do that also. In any event, you will find lots of answers to your questions here, feel free to ask away.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Ron,

I'm not sure I understand why you would be worried.

If you have already put the hours in and all of your mandatory continuing education classes, then it's just a matter of taking a test and getting the certification over and done with. No big deal.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I haven't paid enough attention to this to tell you right now. I will attempt to find out or maybe Frank Gregoire will find this thread.

I know that Florida wants to do away with the 'Licensed' appraiser status and is working toward doing just that. There are very few here in Florida. (4 keeps coming to mind but that could be wrong)

Get certified.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
I AM A VERY SUCCESSFUL AND HAPPY LICENSED REAL ESTATE APPRAISER HERE IN FLORIDA. I HAVE A THRIVING BUSINESS AND TAKE PRIDE IN BEING HONEST AND DO NOT PERFORM ANY JOB IF IT LOOKS OR SOUNDS FISHY TO ME, WHICH LATELY SEEMS LIKE EVERYDAY.

I HAVE QUESTION REGARDING THE FUTURE OF LICENSED APPRAISERS LIKE MYSELF.I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IN THE FUTURE THERE WILL ONLY BE REGISTERED AND CERTIFIED APPRAISERS. WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WHO ARE ALREADY LICENSED APPRAISERS WHO WORK HARD AND HAVE THRIVING APPRAISAL PRACTICES. MOST OF THE LICENSED APPRAISERS THAT I HAVE SPOKEN TO HOPE THAT WE WILL BE GRANDFATHERED INTO CERTIFIED STATUS. ESPECIALLY SINCE I HAVE THE EDUCATIONAL AND WORK EXPERIENCE FOR A CERTIFIED STATUS. IN ADDITION, THERE ARE DRAFTS BY THE NATIONAL BOARDS THAT WILL REQUEST A COLLEGE EDUCATION. PERHAPS THOSE OF US WHO HAVE A MASTERS DEGREE AS I AND A MAJOR IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS WILL BE ALLOWED TO USE SOME OF THOSE CREDITS AS WELL. IN ADDITION, I WAS READING IN ONE OF THE APPRAISAL THINK TANKS THAT IN THE FUTURE LICENSED APPRAISERS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE REGISTERED APPRAISERS UNDER THERE DIRECTION. I AM ABOUT TO HIRE ONE IN A WEEK TO TWO AFTER HE FINISHES HIS EDUCATION AND RECEIVES HIS CERTIFICATE.

I AM VERY CONCERNED AND WANT TO BE PREPARED FOR THE FUTURE...

Hi Ron,

The Florida Real Estate Appraisal Board has proposed, along with a Chapter 475, Part II Rewrite Committee, several changes to Florida's Real Estate Appraisal Licensing and Certification Law. Among the changes is a proposal to eliminate the Licensed Appraiser category.

You can find a synopsis of the changes HERE!!

The bill has yet to be drafted and has not yet been approved by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Obviously, it has not yet been passed by the Florida Legislature, nor has it been signed by the Governor. The proposal, however, does have the support of the Appraisal Institute, the Florida Association of REALTORS and representatives of the American Society of Appraisers, National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers and several other appraisal organizations.

Although there are more than four Licensed Appraisers in Florida, there are less than 200. The differences in the qualification criteria is minimal. This is the reason for the proposal.

While visiting the link above, you might want to take a look at some of the other messages and the 'FILES' section of the site. As long as you are licensed, registered or certified in Florida, you might consider making a request to join the group.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks, Frank.

I have no idea where "4" came from in my mind.

Ron, Welcome to this forum!!!

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Ron
Just get Certified the Licensed status carries no weight.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
All:

I too have heard substantiated 'rumors' that some states are going to remove the 'license' and go to "Certified Residential" and "General" only. My state is among them. At present there is no concrete effort to do so nationwide.

I watch this fairly closely as due to a quirk in the time frame in which the State of KS developed a 'licensed' category, I have a license. I was FULLY qualified to take and be Certified at the time I took the test, however having submitted my application about a year after implementation of ANY sort of paper being required, the form I submitted was outdated and they :evil: stuck me with a license rather than the certification to which I was entitled and eligible, bacuse the [email protected]#$%#!! form was outdated. I was busy making babies and didn't get a new form, and no one at the board said a bloody word. :eek:nfire: about any new form when I handed it in. I didn't find out about it until I got my "license' instead of the expected certification :agrue: at which point i was pretty upset.

I am no tenderfoot when it comes to appraising and I think have developed a reputation as being professional and who cares about the profession.

On the other hand being licensed has precluded me from VERY little work, I have a satisfactory client base and feel pretty strongly about having to take the time and effort to acquire what SHOULD have been mine by right and effort. IF the time comes in your state when you NEED or want to take the jump to the next level, then do so. I suppose it does show something about your qualifications, but in my case has had little or no effect on my ability to work. I have had exactly ONE client turn me down, and they wanted a designated person anyway, (which also I am not).

I have no problem with requireing folk to be professional, nor to require a higher level of scrutiny. In MY state rumor had it that folks currently licensed would be grandfathered in if the lesser license was eliminated. Doesn't matter to me I have every confidence that my work would pass scrutiny and I could pass the test.... but see no point in doing so under the circumstances unless and until REQUIRED :evil: .

Stay on top of the issue as it applies to you in YOUR sate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks