• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Licensed in Multiple States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tudor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
For residential appraisers only.

How many different states should they be licensed in?

What if the different states they are licensed in are 100's or 1,000's of miles apart?

If they had never lived in that state before, then how much should they know about the markets in that state before getting licensed? So that they are geocompetent.

Is it possible for a residential appraiser to work in multiple states, know enough about each different market and still be profitable? (travel costs, data source costs, etc......)

Or do the residential appraisers that are licensed in numerous states just set up shops in the various states but are then able to market themselves as licensed in those states?

I am more of an appraiser then a businessman, I have a hard time comprehending how some aspects of the appraisal "business" are accomplished while still completing quality reports.

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I am licensed in 2 states and can be in the "other state" in about 25 minutes. I would think one could hold license in different states many miles apart but it would be hard to be "geo" competent in those state(s). JMHO

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
It depends on your locale, if you are near the border of another state, it would make sense to have both licenses. In my area, many appraisers carry Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC licenses as it is all considered one metropolitian area.

mjkappraisals

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I believe one's decision to become licensed in other states comes down to competency in that market.

SharperImage

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
For residential appraisers only.

How many different states should they be licensed in?

What if the different states they are licensed in are 100's or 1,000's of miles apart?

If they had never lived in that state before, then how much should they know about the markets in that state before getting licensed? So that they are geocompetent.

Is it possible for a residential appraiser to work in multiple states, know enough about each different market and still be profitable? (travel costs, data source costs, etc......)

Or do the residential appraisers that are licensed in numerous states just set up shops in the various states but are then able to market themselves as licensed in those states?

I am more of an appraiser then a businessman, I have a hard time comprehending how some aspects of the appraisal "business" are accomplished while still completing quality reports.

You could be licensed in four states if you lived up in the corner of AZ, NM, CO and Utah. I guess it all boils down to LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

Ed Falkowski MAI SRA

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I am certified in four states but I ALWAYS make sure that I investigate the area before I accept an assignment (just to make sure that I'm taking on an assignment that I can handle). I talk to the listing AND selling agents for all of my comps, I'll even talk to realtors who have nothing to do with the subject/comps just to get their thoughts on the area. Sometimes I'll stop off at local businesses to talk to people. I'll do whatever I need to do and talk to whomever I need to talk to in order to feel that I have the best possible understanding of the marketplace. I research data on jobs, schools, population trends, available businesses, etc., etc. Of course, this is probably outside of most appraisers' scope of work but it's all a part of being "geocompetant" if you're going to cross state borders to perform real estate appraisal work.

I believe that I posted this a long time ago, but I live and die by the saying: "you can never know everything all the time"... but you can sure try and find out! :icon_mrgreen:

DKAYTES

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
It depends on your locale, if you are near the border of another state, it would make sense to have both licenses. In my area, many appraisers carry Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC licenses as it is all considered one metropolitian area.

Same thing in my area. I am licensed in PA NJ and DE because to the close proximity. It also opens up a lot of opportunities for additional business. We service a 50 mile radius. Our clients love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks