• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Licensed Or Certified And Working On Your Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Flori

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Rhode Island
Are there any Appraisers who do their own work that are just Licensed?
I realize you need to be Certified for FHA work.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I do. I have deliberately not pursue a certification although I have passed the test, have the course hours and experience, because I don't want to work for AMC's of big banks. By the way I was a member of the FHA fee panel before it was discontinued.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Discontinued ??

Any warm body with a certification can do FHA. Way back when, I took courses and had to pass a required exam to get my FHA number. But that was back when you were supposed to actually know something about Real Estate before you started to call yourself a Real Estate Appraiser.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Discontinued ??
Yea, a few years back they changed it so that only Cert Res can do FHA. Licensed appraisers aren't allowed to do them on their own

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Any warm body with a certification can do FHA. Way back when, I took courses and had to pass a required exam to get my FHA number. But that was back when you were supposed to actually know something about Real Estate before you started to call yourself a Real Estate Appraiser.

I was there, back then. What happened to those days??

Yea, a few years back they changed it so that only Cert Res can do FHA. Licensed appraisers aren't allowed to do them on their own
Yeah, I guess I misunderstood his comment. Thnx, BNM

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Still only licensed and never hurting for work. Did 21 last month and probably turned down another 6 or so. Was also on FHA panel before they changed it. Remember taking the test. Though It was actually a lot more difficult than the test I took to get licensed. Do not miss FHA work at all. Too busy doing conventional and some private work (pre listing, estate). How many remember the FHA VC form.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
same here. no problem with orders. i too did FHA back when the test was a real test. then it changed to a 10 question test and a class, and the class was mandatory as you had to answer the questions with a word-for-word exact answer which was only given out in the class. they they changed it to basically giving them your name and you are approved.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
If you don't do any FRTs in my state you can actually be a registered appraiser and NOT comply with USPAP. Most "evaluators" are registering and there are some who believe the state law requires you to... I am not so sure and not sure if ever court tested but know that a condemnation appraiser who is not licensed in OK functions fine there and when he crosses the like he picks up a Registered License to do the reports. He was a CG once but decided if you don't do bank work, what's the point? You cannot file a complaint to the board if you are not part of it and OK is not mandatory for all appraisals, only FRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks