• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Linux Mint

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
Thinking of switching over to Linux instead of upgrading to Windows 10. Since I am retired I no longer need to have the appraisal software and just mostly us e-mail and the internet. I am presently on Windows 7 which I really like. I have been told that Linux mint is a lot like Windows 7. Does anyone have and experience with this and suggestions?

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I tried Ubuntu a few years ago, my wife still has it on an old computer. It's based on Linux or maybe Unix, so should be similar I'd guess.
Free and seemed to have a fairly robust system of security updates and such.
User interface was OK, sort of Windows like, iirc.
I say go for it, but first try it on an older machine so if you hate it... :peace:

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Vermonteer and I are both using Kubuntu Linux. Someone else, I think it is Sid Holderly, is using Netrunner Linux as well. So there are a few of us already on Linux. We area all still using different appraisal forms software inside of Virtualbox.

I don't have much experience with Linux Mint, but I know it is based on Ubuntu. So its the same system underneath as I am using. Its just a different desktop interface. Other options I would recommend are Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, and Linux Lite. All 4 are based on Ubuntu. They all just have a different desktop interface which gives them a different look and feel. Some of the default programs and features will be different as well. So depending on how much power and control you want there are many options. Here is a quick run down based on my past experience.

Kubuntu - https://kubuntu.org/

I use Kubuntu because I like how much I can customize it. It also has, arguably, the best file manager in Linux. The goal of KDE and Kubuntu is to give the user complete control over their system while maintaining an easy to use system. It comes stock with a very Windows 7 like look and feel, but it can be made to look more like Apple if you want. Kubuntu uses KDE programs, so the program set is different in Kubuntu than you might find between the other 3. The latest version is one of the lightest on resources if you have an older computer.

UbuntuBudgie - https://ubuntubudgie.org/

I really like Ubuntu Budgie. I think it has the best compromise of having a traditional desktop layout and still having a modern and fresh look. You can easily move the taskbar to top or bottom of the desktop to achieve the look you want. Its very clean and elegant to work in. The creators of the Budgie desktop like to promote the idea that they use 'sane' defualts. They don't have the ability to customize as much as KDE, but they try to get things right out of the box. If I didn't want the power and flexibility of KDE I would be using Ubuntu Budgie. I believe that Ubuntu Budgie will be more resource heavy than KDE. So might not be good for old hardware.

Linux Mint - https://linuxmint.com/
I have only briefly looked at it. It has a nice familiar interface. Many people say its the most familiar for a traditional desktop. It uses more resources than other computers if you have an old machine.

Linux Lite- https://www.linuxliteos.com/
I used Linux Lite on an old laptop. It uses the very lite XFCE desktop, so this will be the best option for older hardware. It has a very traditional Windows feel to it. It will use many of the same programs as Ubuntu Budgie and Linux Mint, but will choose lighter programs when they are available.

Any of the above distributions can be downloaded and given a test run on a 'livecd'. (Or now most likely a live DVD or even USB). What that means is you can download the operating system and burn it to a DVD or USB stick. Then you can run the entire operating system off of the DVD/USB without making any changes to your computer. This gives you the opportunity try out several versions of Linux before doing your final install. You should find directions on how to make a bootable DVD or USB on their websites. They will all use the same procedure, so once you figure it out, it will be easy. The only thing to keep in mind is that when you are running off of a CD or USB stick the system will run slow. Rest assured it will run MUCH faster once you actually install it onto your hard drive.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
Thanks for all of your information. I found a person at the computer users group that I belong to that is very familiar with the programs.
We are going to try and get together next week and he is going to show me how it works. He is going to put a few of them on a usb stick and he says I can try it to see if I like the program.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Yes, I have been running Netrunner Linux since before 2014, the current version running is 2017. It is very similar to Linux mInt.
The form software is on W7 in a virtual box where I have the appraisal software and a PDF program associated with the appraisal software.
All the narrative appraisals are completed in LIbre Office word and spreadsheet programs.
Coverseen is a good batch photo reduction software and specatacle is good for clipping part of any screen, Ocular is the document viewer.
Chrome browser or Firefox have links to may online file conversion aps when needed.
When I no longer need form appraisal software I might go to a Chromebook (a couple now have numeric keypads)or chromebox computer. I got my wide a small chromebook several years ago and it has had no problems.

Ther newest version of Newrunner is 19. You might also take a look at RoboLinux.

1570644206651.png

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Yes, I have been running Netrunner Linux since before 2014, the current version running is 2017. It is very similar to Linux mInt.
Ther newest version of Newrunner is 19. You might also take a look at RoboLinux.
I'm curious if you will stick with Netrunner now that they are based on Debian instead of Ubuntu? I've used both Debian and Ubuntu distros in the past. Each has its pros and cons.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Netrunner stable is on Debian and Netrunner rolling is on Manjero. I might go either way. Debian is considered more stable than ubuntu because of fewer releases and more support.
It is like microsoft zzz is under W10 and W7. I have had two lockups in Linux in 4 years. I get about 4 a week for Windows 7 in the virtual box. My computer is on 24/7 except for long term power outages.
I might also switch to Linux Mint because the local tech guy at my computer store of choice knows more about it. All of the variants will run Libre Office and I have been around various computer interfaces long enough the underlying fork is not that important.

Attachments

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
I used PCLinuxOS for a short while when I first started using linux. It is a very nice distro, but I didn't like the constant updates of a rolling release. It became particularly troublesome when KDE made the change from KDE3 to KDE4(Plasma). That was a big transition and it might be an exception, but it kind of scared me away from the rolling release model. I dislike Windows 10 in part because it has basically become a rolling release model. So I usually recommend a stable release like Debian Stable or something based on Ubunty LTS.

What software do you have running in the left screen? Judging by the colors of the grid, it doesn't look like any appraisal software I am familiar with.

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
It is a Libre Office spreadsheet inside of a Libre office document for a narrative appraisal. It is a single-tenant comparables adjustment grid I put together. The adjustment per unit across the bottom row can be changed to find a reasonable equilibrium for the adjustments. This is for a private individual and not a lender. I see I still have some misspellings in the grid or odd abbreviations.

I should probably make a set of blank templates, but I generally just overwrite for different jobs. I sometimes rename the line items for different property mixes like a rural farmstead with lots of good outbuildings.

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
It is a Libre Office spreadsheet inside of a Libre office document for a narrative appraisal....
I wondered if it was something along that line.

I don't want to side track the original post, but have you seen this? I just came across it after our previous discussion. It appears Manjaro is setting itself up as a business as well as a community distro. I personally thing this is a good thing. I'm always happy to see more Linux based businesses.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks