• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Living Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Snider

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hey everybody I have a quick question. I inspected a house today that was built in the 1960's and is originally 1248 Sqft. with a attached 1 car carport with laundry room detached from base, but under same roof. (following me?) Ok well the laundry room has had air ducts installed and is finished off and there is also and a additional room attaching the laundry room that has A/C and is also finished. Both of these now heated and cooled rooms are not physically attached to the main base, but are under the same roof. Now my questions is...... do I consider these rooms into the living area of the house since in order for you to get the kitchen or the rest of the house, you have to go outside through the carport? or consider them storage area. This will affect my size greatly and will alter the appraisal either way.

P.S - The laundry room also has a bathroom, how should I handle these situations??

Jason Snider

Tater Salad

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Not GLA if you have to enter the elements to access.

I'd adjust on separate line for all, including the bathroom. We have some people out here with a full bath in the garage, not attached to the main dwelling but under same roof. I adjust it like other amenities (FP,Porch,Pool, Inground Sprinkler, etc.).

I wouldn't consider them as storage area, since they have more utility. More like finish over a garage without access from he main dwelling, maybe?

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Or....another way to look at it....is there a way to make a doorway from this area into the regular living area, or is it impossible and must stand alone. If you "could" add a doorway, then you could do a functional obsolescence with a cost to cure. If not, then I would treat it as an amenitie as well.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Hey Judy...where you been hiding????

I would probably handle it differently. If you do not have to go outside to access these room but can go through the garage, I would include in GLA and just explain what you have and why you did it. It is fully functional, even has a bathroom. Most unusual!

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Here are the questions I always ask myself when I encounter a similar situation. The answers help me to determine if I include the area in the GLA calculation. If I do not include it in the GLA calculation I account for the area in a seperate line item in accordance with the market reaction to the area. It might add value or it might deduct value, especially if the municipality will enforce tear out or code compliance for non permitted improvements.
1. Is it heated by the main heating system?
2 can it be accessed directly from the main structure?
3. Is it of like kind and quality as the main structure.
4. is it reflected in the Public record square foot figure or room count
5. was this area built with permits?

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Hey Mike - I was in the air conditioned room in the garage...... :yellowblack:

jeff samolinski

Hey Mikey:

Not sure I can agree with calling it living area. If these rooms add lets say 400 s.f. of additional living area for a total of 1648 s.f. living area and you have to go through the garage to get there would you compare the subject to other 1648 s.f. homes that were designed to be that large without any adjustment. You may be able to call it living area but a home of that total size would more than likely not be designed like the subject. Just a thought to consider

Compass Rose

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I appraised a property a couple weeks ago that had a 10'x 12' finished room under their carport. Same roof, used to be a laundry room/shed, but now has heating, cooling and finished interior. The homeowner was using it as an office. I called it a guest room as they are common in this area and adjusted it about $25 per SF.

I don't think it should be included in the GLA if you have to go outside to get to it.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Didn't say I was right....just how I might do it :rofl:

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Everyone here needs to read and/or take a class on the ANSI Standards for measuring!

If you can't walk directly into the area in question from the main GLA of the house, it is NOT to be included in the GLA. Count it separately, adjust as you see fit.

Regarding garage / carport / enclosure additions: IF the floor is raised equal to the main house GLA, the finish is at least equal to the main GLA, it's heated and/or cooled equal to the main GLA, and it's accessible directly from the main GLA, it probably would be counted in the main GLA. Even then, you might have some 'functional' obsolescence to deal with.

Same goes for 'Florida' room or any other additions. Consistent floor level, roof, walls, ceilings, windows, HVAC, etc., finish MUST be at least equal to the main GLA to be counted in the GLA. If it's not, count it separately!

We really need to try to all be on the same page regarding measuring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks