• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Lo From Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
Today takes the cake. As overworked as we all seem to be, this came via the net at noon today. All communications are separate e mails, real pain when he could pick up the phone.

New client: Request for a desk review, needs three additional comps, and a value and super rush status.
Reply: so much $, so many days; $ if I just review other report ffor factual information, $ if I provide opinion of value.
LO: too much money, and we need it today or yesterday. All we need is three additional comps.
Me: I don't do that sort of thing for any amount of $
LO: The original appraiser appears to be on the lenders watch list, they just need three additional comparables to prove value. (Duh?)
Me: $ money to review report, $ if I provide opinion of value, so many days.
LO: Does not want me to review report, can't give me the report, just provide three comps, grided to support the value.
Me: No can do.
LO: Another appraiser accepted job, ran MLS printouts and faxed them to him. No good says he, needs them gridded to prove value.
LO: What we need is 2055 Qual., no photos, just the value.
Me: That is an appraisal that requires an exterior inspection at least, and I charge $ for that report. You have to have in less than five days, I will agree to work on Sunday for 50% more than my ususal fee.( standard rush fee to inconvenience my regular clients and myself is Fee X 2, fatigue must be setting in) Report delivered by Monday(where was my head?)
LO: Fee is absolutely unreasonable for just three additional comps. I have several other appraisers that want this job, I just need to call them back.
Me: I can't(won't) do the job anymore, for any amount of $, in the forseeable future(ie. when hell freezes over) If the phone doesn't ring, it's me.

Another mortage broker attempting to con some appraiser into signing his/her reputation or carreer into oblivion becuase the number hitter got caught. And on super rush status, maybe so you won't have time to realize what is going on. They want additional comps, but won't go to the original appraiser? Second appraiser didn't want to get involved? Where do they get these people, and how are they trained? Sometimes I just wish this was all a little easier.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Lets see U kept replying after saying U couldn't, Willing to work Sunday, seems U did send him something from the way I read this. Where do they get these people Reread what U wrote.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
You have my sympathy and my righteous anger. I'm burning out on Realtor and LO BS. Now, I can't get a .pdf file to go through!!! This one was late last week! (only 13 yr old, 1350GLA house in it's area).

Everybody bitchin' at me ain't helpin.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Well, you got 3 stars this week! :p Welcome to the club. I think those LO's just start flipping through the yellow pages when they have gone through their "good" appraisers. ;)

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Deep breaths Pam, Deep breaths. :blink:

Bill S

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Nice Buffett reference

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Tom, ......It must be somewhat of a nice feeling to find client reps really "needing" you (me, or anyone of us) to do something for them. Clearly this LO was leaning heavily upon you, yet not willing, or perhaps able, to make the completed commitment of meeting your terms. As soon as they said..."I have several other appraiserS (you did say....plural) that want this job"....that would have prompted me to suggest that one of them accept it !....and, "Let me thank you for considering me though. I really do have some work to complete, so thanks for calling. I am sure one of those other appraisers can wrap this one up for you quickly and easily, Bye." If this was a "new" client, as stated, then only an overnighted check for this rush service, with well-defined written scope/order of the task to perfom, would have swayed me to reconsider, and juggle my schedule as best as possible. Oh, well.

Mike Simpson

I highly recommend Caller ID...it's a must for a small office (30 yr. fixed just hit 5.25% today--if you thought you were busy before!!!). I'd rather log on here than answer a phone call like the one you just described.

A couple months ago a real estate agent (I'd done a job for some 2 years previous) calls out of the blue and leaves a recorded message--they wanted me to provide them with comparables for a property and all they needed was "MLS & County Record printouts of properties with your (my) name on them." They were even providing me with the addresses of the comparables they wanted, and they were quite firm that they needed my name on the pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite their persistence over a 6 week period, I never answered or returned their calls. What did they want? I don't know, I don't care, I don't need them! I was, however, half tempted to call them back and say; OK, while I'm pulling data I need you to find me a house $20,000 under market by tomorrow, and don't worry if it's a fixer, cause I'm only charging you $1,000 after you complete all the repairs at your expense!

Where do they come from indeed??? Wherever it is they must be multiplying!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks