• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Loan blame game now in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-litigation3mar03,1,254244.story?ctrack=5&cset=true

Sub-prime borrowers are suing loan brokers and lenders, accusing them of deceptive practices. Wall Street firms that bought now-delinquent sub-prime loans are trying to force lenders to buy them back.

Investment-bank shareholders are going after those firms' managers, saying they took excessive risks by loading up on bonds backed by sub-prime mortgages. And investors are suing money managers whose sub-prime-laden funds have suffered hefty losses.

It's, 'What did you know when you sold me this stuff, and what did you tell me about it?' " said Bill Sullivan, chairman of the securities-litigation practice at Paul Hastings in Los Angeles. "Marrying up what was disclosed versus what was known will be an important inquiry in each case."

The banks are likely to argue that sub-prime bonds were bought by sophisticated investors who understood the dangers and that it was impossible to foresee the turmoil that upended the housing market.

But if government regulators show that banks didn't adequately disclose the risks, it "would put this litigation into an entirely different and far more serious category," said Jonathan Macey, a securities-law professor at Yale University.

"That would take these from 'kind of improbable to win' to 'How many zeros are we talking about on the check?' "

ghrousseau

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I posted on another thread, but how can people who committed mortgage fraud now sue brokers and bankers because they didn't read the loan documents and disclosures and they now can not meet the loan terms?

m2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks