• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Local Division of Real Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
Has anyone here thought or suspected their local Real Estate monitoring agency is more strict on Appraisers over Real Estate agents, Brokers etc...? If so what could one do?

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
No, I haven't thought that at all.

kerrylanger

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Has anyone here thought or suspected their local Real Estate monitoring agency is more strict on Appraisers over Real Estate agents, Brokers etc...? If so what could one do?

Appraisers have huge, glowing bullseyes on them right now. Why? Because, we are easy to single out. Why? Because, we refuse to organize. Why? I don't know.

I've heard the "hearding cats crap" the "can't agree crap" etc. The one thing I suspect is...the more appraisers that drop out, the more the rest of the appraisers can survive. So why not discourage organizing? The more that go away the better for the others.

There are some that want to organize. It's just that everytime someone brings it up, a few people beat it down. They say it already has been tried and does not work and will not work.

In the meantime, we keep getting picked off by the "snipers" from the states and other regulatory agencies.

The Realtors got it right. They have one of the most powerfull lobbying influence and that is why you may feel they get preferential treatment. It pretty much makes me regret giving up my broker license to become an appraiser.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I agree. I know an appraiser that is a good guy and really tries to do it right. He has received a fine close to $10,000 and 3 months to pay it. A big chunk of the fine was for him not doing the inspection with his trainee after they became a legal licensed trainees from the state. There was a story on the news last night that I missed but heard about. These Realtors were found committing blatant fraud in the million's of dollars range. What did they get? A very small fine (considering the damage done) and probation for 3 years. I think this is ridiculous. We are weak and easy prey since we are all too smart to form some kind of group like the Realtors have. It just irritates me because I see what they can get away with. What happens if the appraiser uses information gathered from an MLS listing and it turns out to be incorrect. The appraiser gets dinged for not verifying that information. While the Realtor gets very little if anything at all. They are not held to the same standard as appraisers. Is it because of their numbers and influence? Sorry for the rant.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
kerrylanger. The Realtors got it right. They have one of the most powerfull lobbying influence and that is why you may feel they get preferential treatment. It pretty much makes me regret giving up my broker license to become an appraiser.[/QUOTE said:
Why did you give up your broker's license? I've had mine for 40 years and my appraisal license since licensing began. Does Utah require that you only have one license?

But I agree with Pamela. Appraisers have a target on their back. I'm surprised that are licenses do not have a bullseye in the background.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Why did you give up your broker's license?
Did he say he ever had a brokers lic. or did I miss something?

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
Never had a Brokers license only an Appraisers.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
We AIN'T seen nothing yet!!!. Going to get ALOT dirtier in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks