• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Look for the Union Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

iguana

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
OK, I know that I may get shot down in flames for suggesting this but, how about forming an appraisers union? I am suggesting a union along the lines, pun not intended, of the writers union. http://www.nwu.org/nwu/ The writers have a union which covers staff and freelance writers. As you may know they are on strike now for a greater share of the pie involving new technology- dvd's and internet downloads. A lot of tv shows are in rerun now. The writers are similar to us in that they sell their intellectual property for a fee and the "greater product" (tv show) can not function without their input which is fundamental to making a production happen. We are stronger together than divided. Of course, "you can't get two appraisers to agree on anything".

Most appraisers are "rugged individuals" and I'm sure just as in the general population a number of us, most likely the majority, would be conservatives politically. Just remember that the great icon of American conservatism-- Ronald Regan-- was president of the Screen Actors Guild. Of course, he also acheived fame by firing the air trafic controllers when their union went out on strike.

Many of our clients are now consolidated into just a few companies and just like large corporations use divide and conquer to get what they want that is precisesly what the AMC's do to appraisers every day. This is just a thought that I've had. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Been there, done that, the T-shirt has mildew. There are two unions. The first is about 9 years old and published all sorts of hype about saving the world. Might be easier to sell Zaio zones.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I think your hunches are right, for the most part we are independent business owners, not employees. I've never really understood the concept of "going on strike", if you don't like your current conditions, circumstances, payment, whatever, quit and do something more to your liking, it is a free country. Besides, who would we strike against, our worst enemy is overselves, if we didn't work for AMC's they would not exist.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I'll sign on, you point that the lending process cannot go on without us is well made.
Choice in affiliation is KEY, this is heavily political.
Writers are with with Auto Workers Union --- AFL-CIO ??

CP points to that Guild... which is dormant.
To do anything within my lifetime, we need to affiliate with politically connected group.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Unions as a whole have lost virtually all their muscle. The times have changed and Unions are dinosaurs.

iguana

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Virgin Islands
Rick, you are right the NWU is affiliated with the UAW and AFL/CIO. Many of the writers are just like us. They're freelancers. If we had a real union with a critical mass of members we could legally collude to set fees, be protected by what is left of the NLRB and buy group health insurance at a big discount. The majority of us are not "employees" but we are more and more treated as such.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You could join in with this effort, but it's my opinion the guy running it is certifiable.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Getting appraisers together is like herding cats...there are too many diverse interests in appraising. What is a big issue with one segment is a complete nonissue to another.

For example, do you think the GC with that does nonlending work cares about the low fees that AMCs pay? The best a union will ever do is gain a small percentage of one segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks