• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking For Experienced Appraiser Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merk

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
I came across this comment on an article about the shortage of real estate appraisers in the US, and I'm wondering what some people who are in the industry would have to say about it.

From the last class I attended, we were told there were only 220 apprentices in the entire state of pa ( of which most of them will not make it) The average price give for an appraisal is $275 of which half goes to office expense. With all the questions,, rules, corrections, etc, it could now take 2 days to do one appraisal. Out of that $137.50 that an appraiser is given, there are expenses, gas, auto, taxes, insurance etc. Brings it down to about $40 a day for a college degree and 2 yrs apprenticeship We are also subject to around $30000 in fines if from the state if someone decided you didn't explain something completely (they are short of money so this is an easy way to ruin any career you are thinking of. I have seen where half of this is lies. We had Countrywide in Tx see a route # and automatically accuse us of fraud because it wasn't a busy street (in Penna) I have a drawer full of nonsense and lies anyone is welcome to see.

There won't be appraisers soon and we have been sold down the river. The banks will have total control which is what they want. They alone will decide who gets a loan by statistics and computer. There will be Rich and Poor in this country, which is already beginning Better for appraisers to go on welfare. This has been carefully planned unless they really think appraisers are morons who want to work for nothing. I you wonder why you see prices higher than $275, the banks management gets it to pick apart the appraisal and make sure it matches exact the computer. This is all why appraisal take forever to get done. It is sent back and forth for weeks for changes that have no value to the appraisal what so ever. Good luck for anyone that thinks this is the way to go. Joke

Here is the link to the article from 2013: http://rew-online.com/2013/03/13/appraisers-examine-future-of-their-profession/

Last edited:

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Please post a link to the article whence the comment was procured (forum rules).

I got a few words but I want to see the source first (and it's the rules, provide a link).

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
The AVERAGE price for an appraisal is $275 meaning that some are lower (2013)? I have never worked for a fee that starts with a 2, ever.

If that appraiser has 50% in expenses they are are idiot, I run about 15% IIRC.

In order for someone to get fined $30,000 from the state they would have to commit multiple, very bad, heinous, intentional "errors".

Less than 1/2 of 1% of appraisers will ever get fined by the state.

Some appraisals do take two full days to do and my fee for that is $900 or more.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Yeah, 2013 was a different planet. Many changes in the past 4 years.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Walk into your local Real Estate Office and ask them to put you in touch with the local appraisers they have experience with. The local appraisers will tell you what is or isn't, now.

Scranton is an urban area, not given over to "rural" fees, easily.

There is one occasional poster to this forum that is in Scranton, Laughing Heir. You could contact him.

Merk

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone. I honestly was really discouraged when I read that, but I suppose that there are pessimists in every field. Clearly I know nothing, but I am learning as much and as fast as I can.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Merk,

email me,

appraisermarion @ yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks