• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking For Help With Trainee License Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMelt19

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Just got blindsided by this problem. I'll try to be brief.

I'm an Illinois Appraiser Trainee, in the process of getting the General License. By "in the process" I mean my application was submitted in August, approved in September, and I'm scheduled to take the exam in October. But my trainee license expires on Saturday.

By Illinois law, you can only renew a trainee license twice. I got my license in January 2013, had to renew it 8 months later, and then renewed again in 2015. I just went to renew and was told I can't do that because I've already done it twice. Completely forgot about the 2013 renewal just months after I got my license.

So as of Saturday, I'm no longer licensed as a trainee and I'm still a good 2-3 months away from getting my general license. You can see the problem that causes. (An obvious criticism is that it shouldn't have taken me this long. But I work at a small firm, don't make a ton of money, and those classes aren't cheap (I pay 50% of the costs). I probably could've been more aggressive but please look past that part of this for the sake of discussion)

Here are my questions:

1. Should I be concerned that I'm going to have issues getting the General license when there's going to be a time period when I will have no active license?

2. Any suggestions on who to talk to or where to pursue the possibility of some sort of waiver/exemption/appeal to extend the life of my trainee license until I get the General one? Pursuing a few avenues of my own, but any points in the right direction would be a massive help.

That probably wasn't brief. My apologies. But thanks for reading.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Contact both Brian Weaver and Lee Lansford immediately - both are also A-Forum members, get their expert advice.
https://appraiserusa.com/listing/form-1195781936.htm

Brian Weaver is the Appraisal Coordinator / Appraisal Management Company Coordinator for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR). Brian has been a leader in the industry for over 25 years and worked as an investigator for the Office of Banks and Real Estate in Illinois.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks