• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking For Some Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trish Brown

Freshman Member
Hi I am new to the business. I have been aspiring to enter the Appraisal field for many years now, but have never had the guts to quit a very lucrative $100k a year income within Information Technology.

That was until a few weeks ago !!! I have been very successful over my 15-year professional career, but have never really been happy. The money has been amazing, but the travel has been a nightmare, I am a mother of 3 and it has been hard to be away from home so much. There are many other reasons for my desire to leave my past career behind....but it really doesn’t matter because I have done just that!

I am currently enrolled in my pre-license schooling in the Tampa Bay FL area to obtain my registered assistant classification and have just began to search out my mentor today.

I have read a lot on this board over the past 24 hours and have a few questions and I am looking for some advise. The first question is someone had mentioned that a trainee looking for an edge on the competition should download demo versions of Appraisal software and become experts in them. Could someone tell me what software I should be looking for and an idea of where I can get it? I also recall a post from an Appraiser that had asked the Trainee who was looking for a mentor what was it that they bought to the table and to prove their dedication and desire to learn his profession. I have used this approach to post some Job Wanted ads and will be using this in al of my correspondence with prospective Mentors I wanted to post what I have come up with and see what you guys think. I think I should also add that fact that I have walked away from a $100k income, where I was admired and respected to pursue my dream, this should demonstrate motivation, desire and dedication to pursue my dreams.

Here is what I have;

Hi my name is Trish and I have over 15 years of experience within the Information Technology field in Fortune 500 Sales, sales management, consulting and marketing capacities. I am a true professional and a recognized leader within my field of experience on the East Coast.

I have always dreamed of leaving the IT field and entering into Real Estate and have been drawn to the Residential Real Estate Appraisal industry for a while now. After 5 years of talking about this drastic move I have done just that! I am currently enrolled in my pre-license course at SP. College and actively seeking an ethical, professional and established Licensed Appraiser in Pinellas County Florida to join as a Licensed Appraisal Assistant. I am hard working, have a keen eye for detail, have well above average computer skills, driven and motivated, ethical and professional. I can type up your reports for you in a flash, my desktop publishing skills can be put to use for new brochures and price lists and with my sales and marketing backgrounds I am certainly not afraid of picking up the phone or hitting the streets to search out new clients for you. Dealing with CEO's and CIO's of Fortune 500 accounts for over 10 years is evidence of my professionalism not to mention my valuable customer service skills.

If you are looking for a smart, fun, ethical individual to join your team, someone that is not just using you for training hours, but someone that can bring valuable skills to your organization and grow with you for many years to come then please contact me.

Interest rates are going up and things will start slowing down, now is the time to use my marketing abilities and start developing new clients for the leaner times. I look forward to hearing from you soon!!!!!

Any comments and or advice would be great.... Thanks !!!!

Richard J. Glesser

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Trish,

Prepare yourself for a flood of "Are you crazy? and Why would you leave such a career and income?" over the next few days. But beyond that, there are those who will sincerely tell you that working for yourself and setting your own schedule does have its rewards. I have worked out of our home since my daughter was born nearly 10 years ago. Unlike most dads, she generally sees me when she gets up and also before she goes to bed. I fix her breakfast each morning and often pick her up from school. I'm able to take her to her music lessons and help her with her horse. I was lucky enough to witness her first steps and today she often rides along for comp pics or inspections since she can do her homework while I'm in the home. Follow your dream! I'm sure with your background, you've prepared financially. I would love to take on a trainee with your previous accomplishments.

You also bring to the table substantial contacts within the business community which could prove helpful to not only yourself, but also your mentor's business.

While you state your location in your text, it constantly amazes me that newbies register for this forum, often seeking Mentors, and leave their location to read "Not Given". I can assure you that I'm always looking for Newbies from Northern Michigan who may be potential trainees.

Best of luck, Trish. I'm sure you will get much more support from this forum. :usa:

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have walked away from a $100k income
Are you crazy!? :lol:

Pursue your dream, but know it's a tough row to hoe, especially at first.
You may never get back to $100k in appraisal. Well maybe inflation.
But, there are plenty of good points too. :D
It's just hard to get started.

Trish Brown

Freshman Member
Thanks Richard for the heads up about the backlash I should expect by my drastic steps this past couple of weeks :)

Something I've learnt and learnt it the hard way is that money is not everything, family and happiness is. No matter how much money you make, what's the point if you are miserable and your family is too because you are always gone?

As far as this being tough going to get started, well then I am made for this. If I have survived for so long in Technology sales especially the last 3 years while most have been laid off of just could not take it and got out then I can survive anything. I was one of a dying breed and rest assured I'm as tough as nails; you have to be to survive the turmoil of the past few years.

As far as working from home, I have actually worked from a home office for the past 5 years and have enjoyed working independently from my home and setting my own schedule (only thing is most of my larger clients were not located in Florida where I lived which meant my schedule included booking flights every week) Booking a short drive sounds so much more appealing :) I have researched this for many years now and feel I am a perfect fit. I am tough, professional, customer focused, ethical, a technology wiz, a sales and marketing genius, likeable, self motivated, I have great personal pride in my work and just want to do a great job and have some fun. I know this profession will bring it's own set of challenges and obstacles, but the stress and pressure I have lived the past 15 years is something I am and have exchanged. So bring it on and watch out, I aim to rise to the top and be one of the best and hopefully will find one of the best to learn from. :p

Willie

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
No "Are you crazy from me?" from me. You are crazy. :eyecrazy: Hey but the world is full of romantics.

All kidding aside, you seem committed. Or maybe you should be committed. Oops, kidding again?

Software? I use Appraisers Toolbox/Clickforms which seems to be the most stable and easy software out there. Do a search and I think you will come to the same conclusion. But most appraisers use Alamode, because when DOS software came out, they had the best software and most folks have stuck with it, even though from post on this board, it appears to be costly and not reliable.

Don't blame you for not wanting to travel. I wouldn't either. Do what you want,(as if you haven't already, LOL). You won't get paid much for 2 - 5 years and likely will work as hard or harder. Will you ever get back to your current income level. Maybe. But if you stayed where you were, of course, that would grow to more than you ever will make jumping off porches, looking under crawl spaces, and looking in attics. Good luck!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I think you'll do well Trish. You have a lot to bring into a good working relationship; and I like your attitude as well. You have a lot of knowledge about running a business, but know and understand that you have a lot to learn about the real estate field. This business, like most, requires computer skills. I can't tell you how many times I am approached about getting into the business. And after asking a couple of questions, I find they only have a pipe dream of jumping into a wheel barrel full of cash........ and don't even now how to turn a computer on to boot. (pun intended :p ) Anyway, good luck and keep marketing yourself. I would think that you will find what you want. Wanna move to GA??

Trish Brown

Freshman Member
I could make you very rich by giving you a dollar for every time i've been asked to move to GA :p My previous employer asked me to move to Atlanta every week, a large bank and home inprovement store located in Atlanta were 2 of my biggest clients. No I'm staying put, location, location, location....... My other dream was to live by the beach and on the water, two years ago we purchased our dream and live on the Gulf of Mexico one block off the beach that a lot of people spend a lot of money to vacation at :p

I don't ever expect to make the money I was making, that's just not my objective. If it was about money I would have stayed where I was. This is about walking away from corporate America and doing what I want to do with my life and not want they want. I love where I live and I want to work where I live and become a respected professional where I live and be at home for my husband and kids. I don't want to miss any more school plays, hockey games (there's a FL sport eh?), and student of the month's. My husband and kids are supportive and behind me all the way. Hubby has a good job, so I have no financial worries. I just want to jump in and start paying my dues and learning. I'm not very good at sitting around doing nothing !!!

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Excellent attitude Trish! I could ask if you'd like to move to NM, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. LOL. It's all beach here. We haven't found the water yet, but lotsa great sand.

Your IT skills will be very helpful in this biz. As far as software, I'm one of the Alamode bunch. I do love it's bells and whistles, but it has it's issues. The program doesn't blatantly fail often. (maybe once a year in my experience) It becomes unstable at times and I close out of the program, restart, we're good to go. No full re-boot is required. The most annoying and dangerous thing I've noticed....fields fill in on their own without your doing. Now, before someone thinks I'm an absolute nutcase, I must clarify, it happens when you 'clone' your new files over old reports. Check boxes are the most notorious. I remove an 'X' from a field, save my file, and low and behold, the 'X' is back later on. Other than that problem, I have no complaints. I've been told it's due to Norton Anti Virus conflicts, so I removed Norton. The problem improved drastically, but still happens.

Friends of mine use ACI, which offers much of the same bells and whistles and I've heard no complaints from them either. Might be worth a try to evaluate the complex as well as the truly basic. The hardware/software board has links to the major software companys where you can download the demo products.

Best of luck to you!!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
My previous employer asked me to move to Atlanta every week,
Eeuuww.... Uck!!! Heck no! I am wayyyyyy north of "that place". ;) Left Macon because it was a dead end city, and hot as heck. Like you, I just followed my dreams. Now I'm livin' cool in the mountains. B) I'd say good luck to ya'....... but I don't think you need it. :)

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Better yet....why not just quit that job you don't like and stay home if money is no issue!

Go for it....just remember, this isn't rocket science and their are people getting into the field because they got tired of flippin burgers at Mickey D's.

Would I do it if I was in your shoes? Most likely not. I bet you have benefits and retirement...something you will not get in this profession.

I wish you well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks