• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking for some feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatlander

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Due to a major computer malfunction, I will be replacing my CPU and ACI (it's a long story) very soon. :(
(Thank God for the laptop!) Opinions I was looking for are:
Opinions on Alamode?
Anyone networking with WinTOTAL using both XP and Vista?
Also, I personally won't be buying HP again, any horror stories of brands to stay away from?
Thanks,
Norma

Wolverinefan

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Due to a major computer malfunction, I will be replacing my CPU and ACI (it's a long story) very soon. :(
(Thank God for the laptop!) Opinions I was looking for are:
Opinions on Alamode?
Anyone networking with WinTOTAL using both XP and Vista?
Also, I personally won't be buying HP again, any horror stories of brands to stay away from?
Thanks,
Norma

Funny you ask that! My HP laptop just crashed again last week. It was only the 3rd time I had to send this thing in since I bought it last summer! Luckily, I have the extended warranty to the extended warranty. My wifes HP is older and has never given us a problem. Maybe I just have a lemon. Still I would get a warranty if your buying HP. It came in handy on my desktop as well. I like ACI though, not sure why you are switching?

David Molenaar

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Dell is the only brand that I will purchase. Have had 10 over the past 10 years and never a problem.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Norma,

I have a Dell (3rd one) and love it. DO NOT GET VISTA.

I have alamode and like it....and Dave Biggers is doing a lot for our industry. He deserves our support. I think they are having some kind of sale.

http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=143229

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have to buy my son a computer for college and want to get him one without Vista; is it possible? I thought they were all being sold with it as the standard OS unless of course you buy a Mac (he refuses, which my wallet appreciates).

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'm no expert, but...

My newest computer was a Dell and it seems to do fine.

I did go with Vista and have had minimal problems. A little extra work getting it set up, but no issues. It does need lots of RAM.

My 3+ years of training was on ACI and liked it. Seemed easy to use. When I stepped out on my own, I went with Ala Mode, (mostly just to spit my former supervisor) and I love it. There's quit a learning curve involved, as they are as different as a go cart and a Rolls Royce.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I use WIntotal on a network that is both Vista and XP. I use it on both a tablet pc, UMPC, server and a desktop. It works great. I diasgree with TE about Vista, although I'm not a huge fan of it. Microsoft has already deided to not support it any longer. Therefore any future releases of Wintotal (Armstrong) will require Vista, and a computer with XP will already be outdated before you even open the box.

I buy Dell's for my desktop and servers because they are cheap, and consistent (they will last 1.5 to 2 years). For laptop I will never buy a dell again, absolute garbage. I prefer Fujitsu, Lenovo, or Motion Computing...but then again I like tablets for field work. I f you go on my website I have a technology presentation I did last year. I will also being doing a shortened version at the MAR convention this year.

Ruben Ramon

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Your probably going to have to go with Vista. My experience with Alamode has gotten better. Just keep it updated. HP and Compaq are known for using cheap products. Dell does too, but to a lesser degree, but Dells are very hard to replace parts with after market as the motherboards are specific for that machine.

When you buy, look for a good power supply. The 12 volt rating should be at least 24, and a dual rail or more power supply would be better. You need lots of ram, i would recommend at least 2 gigs, and a 248 meg video card (yes it needs to be seperate with Vista). Get a massive hard drive as they are cheap now.

Keep in mind that you need to keep in a place that will allow it to vent properly as overheating really beats a computer down. Also, every once in a while, buy a can of air, and spray out the inside of your computer (that helps you with air venting). Lastly, get avast antivirus (its awesome and its free) at www.avast.com. Then make sure you get windows defender and spybot. Have spybot scan your computer and do a boot scan with avast on a regular basis. That way, your machine will last you for years and years.

Flatlander

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Great advice all, thank you. I was leaning twords Dell already, glad to hear mostly good feedback on it.
Serena, Dell offers an XP 'downgrade' for an extra $99...
One (of many) reasons I want to change to Wintotal, besides the features I can use 'down the road' such as DiVinci, etc, is the same as Glen's - to make the final split off from my former mentor.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I just bought him a Toshiba. The Dells were more expensive. $99 for a downgrade, ROTFLMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks