• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

LOs can't pick appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FBN2007

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maryland
I just came back from the yearly convention of the Maryland Association of Mortgage Brokers. An attorney spoke there on Federal and state changes that are coming in the industry. He spoke briefly about Fannie and Freddie as of January 2009 will no longer allow the lender to choose the appraiser and that lenders will need to divest themselves from any ownership interest in appraisal companies or management companies. He believes this regulation will spread throughout the industry for all loans. If this comes to pass has anyone heard how we will get business in the future? Am I going to have to wait on the phone for some management company to call me for an order? Does this mean I can no longer solicit potential clients for business? A lot of appraisers will be out of business if that happens, I am signed up with several management companies and I get an order every 6 months.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I just came back from the yearly convention of the Maryland Association of Mortgage Brokers. An attorney spoke there on Federal and state changes that are coming in the industry. He spoke briefly about Fannie and Freddie as of January 2009 will no longer allow the lender to choose the appraiser and that lenders will need to divest themselves from any ownership interest in appraisal companies or management companies. He believes this regulation will spread throughout the industry for all loans. If this comes to pass has anyone heard how we will get business in the future? Am I going to have to wait on the phone for some management company to call me for an order? Does this mean I can no longer solicit potential clients for business? A lot of appraisers will be out of business if that happens, I am signed up with several management companies and I get an order every 6 months.

There have only been about 10 threads and 2,000 posts regarding this in the past two weeks. Yes, it is true. But, who knows if it will really happen? What will happen to our fees? etc,etc...

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Never fear, lenders will be ordering appraisals. Just a new glitch in the ordering process. Once it is understood of the mechanics, I am sure it will be business as usual.

Remember, no one makes any money if the loan does not go through. m2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks