• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Lot size help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat57

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Hi....just wondering if someone can help me figure out the lot size on this property I am doing. I called the assessor like I usually do on this type of property sizes.....and they don't even know the square feet. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks Pat

map.jpg

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Insufficient info on the plat. You are going to have to have a survey. Check with the owner.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If you want a simple way, overlay the plat on some grid paper and convert it to rectangles and triangles. The smaller the triangles you use along the curved line, the more accurate your calculations will be.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Building & Zoning - not Assessor. Check for site survey - often Surveyors indicate Total Area & Usable Area in SF on survey.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
IF you can identify the parcel through GIS or Google Earth you can get close using their measure tool. It would only be an estimate though and the appraisal would be subject to a survey of the site.

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
If you want a simple way, overlay the plat on some grid paper and convert it to rectangles and triangles. The smaller the triangles you use along the curved line, the more accurate your calculations will be.

Man, I never thought of something like that...

At least it gets you in the ball park for area.

Thanks
:clapping:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
You can also draw it in a sketching program like Apex. Use site area, bring an image of the plat to trace and then calibrate the line lengths to the know dimensinos on the plat.

I come up with just over 5 acres... does that sound about right?

Last edited:

Lloyd Bonafide

Professional Status
State
California
It reminds me of sketching and calculating living area in the pre-Apex days.

Just break it up into rectangles, then deal with the irregular shape.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I couldn't read the dimensions very well but this is what I came up with in the survey module for Apex (with more or less after the area). Known correct dimensions could make a big difference!

Attachments

• NONAME01.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 32

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Jo Ann,

I'm not certain but I think your slope along the creek is too severe and the finished shape does not look like the assessor's map. The boundary line that starts at the SE corner and runs westerly shows a 420(+-) length above the dashed line but my calculation put it a more than 690' (which justifies with the dimension located lower down on the map and would be about that if you sum the smaller lengths right below....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks