• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Lot size

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
This is second time in a month that reviewer asked me why my lot size doesn't match public records.
Don't reviewers look at the plat map and verify that I'm right?
Do most appraisers actually look at the dimensions or just rely on public records?

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Big Data is pushing all this. Frankly, I don't think we should be explaining these minute differences that don't really have any measurable effect on the OMV. The only way yo deal with it is to use Boiler Plate comments, which I hate. It's not my job to fix their data issues.

KHS445

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
Generally, I site my source for this type of information. In my area often the County Equalization description of area will differ from a survey. Most times the County will include the entire description, but then exempt the road right-of-way thereby providing a net land area, while the survey will also include the entire description but will include the right-of-way as a part of the parcels area. My reports also have a place where I can enter gross land area, as well as net usable land area and that is where I usually include an explanation.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In my report, I specifically indicated my lot size is from the plat map. I don't know I can be more direct.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In my report, I specifically indicated my lot size is from the plat map. I don't know I can be more direct.

Assuming you got it right,

Tell them to RTFA, and shake your fist! :peace:

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
why not mention both, if there is a difference.
i just have it to easy. little row homes, tons of comps, little driving, and itty bitty rectangular lots.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
As a follow up, like before, I reiterate that I got lot size from plat map.
After that, reviewer left me alone.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
It's simple... just put a copy of the plat in your report.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks