• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Lousy ISP and email service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Haven't received any email for three days now...called MSN and they say, be patient we will have your server up and running in a few days. That really sucks!

Anyone want to share who they use and why they are better than MSN?
I am really fed up with it. Another thing is they switched me from POP3 mail to hot mail and I can't keep my sent emails anymore because the mail box is limited to 10 megs.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Hey Mr. Bass Guy!!!

Not to take anything away from Wayne, I haven't looked into his service and until reading Pam's post, didn't know he provided email as well. Either this just developed in the last few months while I've been off in 'too many orders to sleep' mode, or I've been under a rock.

Anyhooo... my pitch would be Earthlink. I switched over from MSN 18 mos. ago and wonder why I didn't do it earlier. I never get bumped from my connection, can count the times on one hand there was a busy signal, and my email behaves just fine. When part of our clients send orders via email, 3 days is unforgivable!!

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Mike, .....For 5 years I've been with same company, here in town, and rarely has there ever been a disruption of service, except for some direct impact from a lightning event near a connective junction in the system. Same cost of $19.95/mo. Pay for 5 months at once and get 6 mo. service, pay for 10 months and get 12. They are PCI Systems at 5219 Galley Rd., 572-5704, and they have tech support with geeks-on-call till 9pm weeknights.

A

Anonymous

After having problems with two systems I subscribed to Wayne's service and I am very happy with it. I did notice that Wayne's service isn't taking new customers. What's the story Wayne?

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I Agree with Caterina Platt,

Used earthlink for 8 years, also SWB DSL. Both are good.

Ed in Arkansas.

The Home Company

Freshman Member
Hello Mike: We're still using AOL dialup out here in "The Forest" with not too many problems. We minimize AOL and use Explorer for the local MLS.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thanks guys...n gals....I am back up after three days. Only reason I didnt switch before was I wanted to keep the same email address I have used all these years. I do have two other email address I could use, one through adelphia DSL and one through the board of REALTORS. Will check into the services mentioned.

MLS says not to use AOL and so does Alamode. Not supposed to be able to send large appraisal files through AOL. Who knows?

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Mike,

Ross has some good advice. I too, use a local ISP and they provide E-mail service. Hardly ever have any problems. Locals are competing with the large ISP providers and tend to "go the extra mile" in service. In addition there's less folks hornin' in on the band width. And here's a real plus.....if you having trouble, you can yell at them in person!!!! :agrue: Glad your up......have a good one! :lol:

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Count me among the people who had to drop MSN.

I had some problems when MSN changed some security settings and Alamode stopped working (EDI portion).

I spent half a day arguing with both alamode and msn; each told me it was the others' problem. No compassion or understanding from either.
MSN told me to use a different software and Alamode told me to get a different ISP.

While I would have liked to tell them Both to "go to ....", I still had to conduct business.

I changed to Earthlink.......not a problem since. In my area, about once per quater Earthlink goes a bit crazy for about two hours.
But its a minor inconvenience and usually happens during the late evening/early morning hours.

By the way, the service is $21.95, but I understand that if you give them an AARP membership #, they take off 2 bucks per month. Not making a statement about anyone's age, just trying to be helpful.

You are correct; Alamode warns not to use AOL. Since there are some known compatibility problems, you might want to check with them first to make sure that whoever you use as your ISP is compatible.

Wish you the Best!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks