• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Maiden Name On Title, Married Name On Loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
My Sup's secretary wanted me to post this question to the all knowing and pontificating forum :eek: :p :)

we have had a few instances when the person who is refing their house bought the home before they got married and then got married and is now refing the loan. The name on the deed is madien, the name on the appraisal order is the married name.

We put the person's married name as the current owner because that is the name the client gives us as the person applying for the loan, but in our reports we always give a copy of the deed. The deed says the name of the owner is the maiden name.

Our solution, we put a blurb in the addenda that says, the two are assumed to be one and the same person. Secretary wanted to know what the rest of the appraisal world was doing in that situation.

Thanks,

Josh

Sean Wagle

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
North Carolina
If the name change or marriage took place in the same county, the title search will find it, and there shouldn't be any problem.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Try putting, SEE ATTACHED DEED in place of owners name and put borrowers name as it is on the order. This is important as the hubby or wifey may not be on the loan application thus they are not the borrowers.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I do it like Walt: Mary Smith FKA Mary Jones. Then like you, I always include the last recorded deed in my reports.

Except in community property states, I'd list both his and her names.

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
I used to do it as "FKA" but got chewed out by a homeowner who informed me she did NOT assume her husband's last name upon marriage and that I had better issue a new report with her correct name as the property owner. (Hubby wasn't included on the deed.) I don't know why the lender didn't catch that in the title search, but I now show the owner as it's listed in the public record and show the borrower's name as provided by my client. The client can sort it out before closing!

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I do the same as Wally; if the name change is that important to them, they can record a new quitclaim deed with the new name.

Tater Salad

Professional Status
State
Missouri
...you never know if Mary Smith on the deed is the same person as the Mary Jones that's trying to borrow the money. What if somebody is spoofing you and the lender? If somebody is going to take responsibility for this, it isn't me.

Only once did I have a lender ask for the change, and I asked them to fax me the title commitment for my file.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Borrower by lender
Owner by Deed

Let the lender sort out who is who.

Tony in Ohio

Professional Status
State
Ohio
ditto the last several posts, never got a call on it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks