• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Make sure tenant and workers are insured

Status
Not open for further replies.

john snyder

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Unbelievable problem occurred just one week ago. Seems one of my tenants hired an independent contractor to clean his office area. I had told him that if he hires he is responsible as I have my own crew that is insured that does maintenance inside and out.

The hired carpet cleaner locks himself out of my building on Saturday nite, leaves the cleaning machine going with the water attached for 16 hours totally flooding out my medical tenants below.

Of course the carpet cleaning guy has no insurance and my tenant that hired the --- does not have insurance although required to by our lease agreement.

Now my insurance and the medical tenant have complete coverage. Still the stress, time, meeting with adjusters and contractors is very time consuming.

Anyway a word to the wise, make sure independent contractors whether for your practice or maintenance carry their own liability insurance.

Anyway heading out to the gym - gotta work off some stress. Seems every time I worry about the future and business, God sends a message to just mind my own backyard.

jbs

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Sorry to hear about your losses, being friendly with tenants just doesn't work. When you calm down, it may be time to look over and modify your lease agreements. Our lease agreements prohibit tenants from making any changes or doing any cleaning/maintenance of the building, just because of things like you have experienced. If the carpets need to be cleaned, we will use MY folks who do all of our properties. If a tenant were to do that in one of our buildings, we'd sue them for the cost, damages, and evict them for breaking the lease agreement.

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
My parents owned/managed residential units while I was growing up. So many problems-*secret* cats and residual cat pee damage, late rent payments, one nightmare eviction. Being a landlord is not the easy money people imagine it to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks