• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Malibu Homeowner Fined Millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
$5.1 Mil is but a piddle in the bucket for those Billionaires.
It's been going on for years. Another rich guy they are talking about using eminent domain to allow public access to public land (at waters edge).
Prior owners allowed it for decades.

I saw a blurb somewhere about a similar fight in Indiana on shores of Lake Michigan. No surfing there, but I digress.

Oh, and there is a Zonker Harris access way to the beach in Malibu. :leeann2:

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina

On Thursday, the California Coastal Commission fined two of those property owners more than $5.1 million for denying surfers, sand castle builders, kite flyers, sun bathers, yoga enthusiasts and other beachgoers access to the sand that is theirs by state law.

It is the people's beach. California law says you can't deny access to the water. You have to have a pathway across your property that people can use to get to the beach. The state owns the beach. You own down to the high water mark.

Welcome to the people's republic of California.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I saw a blurb somewhere about a similar fight in Indiana on shores of Lake Michigan. No surfing there, but I digress.

Landowners along the lake just lost that one. It had to do with where their property edge extended, i.e., water's edge or high water line, mean high water, etc.

Landowners wanted to keep beach private to the waters edge. Judge said (finally, this has been going on for years) that the owners property extended to the normal high water line and not simply an elevation (Lake MI is 579' above sea level). Lake MI and Great Lakes elevation vary quite a bit from yr to yr. Owners wanted to fence off the beach down to the waters edge so you couldn't even walk the beach along the front of their property unless you were walking in the water.

Last edited:

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I -for one- agree that the rabble *should* have free access to the beach.
Oh, and BTW, the same sort of law is in effect in New York State,
and has been since the 1920's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks