• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Malicious * Ographic Spyware/riskware Detected Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
This happens when I go to two sites also-yahoo and a page that I get my sports news. It doesn't kick off anywhere else so there's something about those pages that allow this type of thing to happen. My guess is that it's the same in your case also

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
This happens when I go to two sites also-yahoo and a page that I get my sports news. It doesn't kick off anywhere else so there's something about those pages that allow this type of thing to happen. My guess is that it's the same in your case also
I've been reading here and there (Gizmodo and related sites). Not sure if I can post their commenters' remarks. One poster also said it happens on yahoo and similar sites. Someone else responded it is redirectors in hidden in ads (sounds like you don't even have to click them). And not to even X to close them, just ALT+ f4. The ads are redirecting browsers to sites for $ for clicks.

As for Firefox, typing about : performance (no spaces) in the search bar analyzes each page you have in tabs for how each performs which may identify some problem areas.
Here is the post, the comments are farther down. https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/9-common-browser-problems-and-how-to-fix-them-1827014349

CindyR
That is what happened. They prey in particular on older people especially because they are so terrified of what can happen to their computers though most do not have much data on them to lose.

These predators are diabolical. They will remote in (when all that needs changing is a home page) and spend a couple hours with the victim watching the screen go through what looks like insane DOS maneuvers, to make them think it is so complicated and worth the charge. I think old people believe what they see on tv about computers. They never tried to deliver an appraisal report!

I finally got the point across about not engaging with notices or calls. The next time the scammers called, because next they call, she told them to call me. (I had said just hang up). On my cell (ergggh). I was told one would call and he did in a minute, asked for me by name (oh thanks). I planned to string them along and waste their time, but immediately lost it and subjected the scam caller to abuse in the form of curses that I did not even know I remembered and invented some disgusting ones on the spot. Saved time, at least. Really, only an elderly person giving up their computer stopped them.

Oh wow I know a young woman who fell for the gift card scam too. Forgot about that one, happened maybe a year ago.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Run Spy-Bot Search & Destroy at least once a week and immediately when you get this type pop up. There is a free version.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
What is this crap?! I have seen this pop up maybe 3 or 4 times in recent weeks, while on this site, and with other sites open on different tabs in Firefox. What is jerktwo.stream? See the url.

I did not call the number, I did close the window and reboot each time, no problem.
Windows Defender and Malwarebytes say no problemo. But it's ticking me off.

View attachment 35998
This is called scareware. It lives in your browser cache. Clear your cache.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Those pop-ups really aren't caused by malware, so there's nothing for Malwarebytes to detect. If the pop-ups are repeatedly coming back, users need to pay attention to what site they're on when it happens and avoid that site.

The best solution is to get yourself a reputable ad blocker.

To resolve this, you need to turn off the sync feature and then reset browser on all devices running with same email address.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I've been reading here and there (Gizmodo and related sites). Not sure if I can post their commenters' remarks. One poster also said it happens on yahoo and similar sites. Someone else responded it is redirectors in hidden in ads (sounds like you don't even have to click them). And not to even X to close them, just ALT+ f4. The ads are redirecting browsers to sites for $ for clicks.

As for Firefox, typing about : performance (no spaces) in the search bar analyzes each page you have in tabs for how each performs which may identify some problem areas.
Here is the post, the comments are farther down. https://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/9-common-browser-problems-and-how-to-fix-them-1827014349

CindyR
That is what happened. They prey in particular on older people especially because they are so terrified of what can happen to their computers though most do not have much data on them to lose.

These predators are diabolical. They will remote in (when all that needs changing is a home page) and spend a couple hours with the victim watching the screen go through what looks like insane DOS maneuvers, to make them think it is so complicated and worth the charge. I think old people believe what they see on tv about computers. They never tried to deliver an appraisal report!

I finally got the point across about not engaging with notices or calls. The next time the scammers called, because next they call, she told them to call me. (I had said just hang up). On my cell (ergggh). I was told one would call and he did in a minute, asked for me by name (oh thanks). I planned to string them along and waste their time, but immediately lost it and subjected the scam caller to abuse in the form of curses that I did not even know I remembered and invented some disgusting ones on the spot. Saved time, at least. Really, only an elderly person giving up their computer stopped them.

Oh wow I know a young woman who fell for the gift card scam too. Forgot about that one, happened maybe a year ago.
Sounds like you know your stuff. It seems like my issues with Yahoo have only been on a desktop computer, whereas the issues on the sports site I go to (Real GM) are only on my phone. I use Chrome on my desktop and my phone, which is an Android OS. Both have solid antivirus programs and nothing is ever uncovered when an antivirus scan is performed. I've grown immune to it at this point

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
No I am just a monkey but I am stubbornly curious! But thanks ;-D

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
A search on the phone number shows that it is a fraud/ransomware scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks