• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured Home addition - SAA and 4150.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Sauceda

Sophomore Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
The latest downloadable 4150.2 states that when an addition is added to an existing manufactured home "an inspection by the State Administrative agency is required to verify that the changes were performed in accordance with the HUD Manufactured Home Construction Safety and Standards." This was stated in the report. The UW says that the appraiser needs to indicate if this is fee inspector or county code inspection. I called HOC - they were not helpful - just parroting back the guideline word for word. So, I located the Texas state administrative agency for manufactured homes and they told me that this is an old regulation and does not apply and that no further inspection is required.
Is the State Administrative Agency the authority in each state for this issue?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
If your state does not have a state agency to complete those inspections when there are physical additions and changes to the structure after it leaves the factory and you think there could be a concern--require an inspection by a licensed contractor or engineer or home inspector. Your appraisal report would be subject to an inspection by the applicable licensed individual.

BR549

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
Gerry,
I am by no means an expert, but I attended the FHA seminar in San Antonio in August on FHA appraisals.
I learned years ago, and still believed that no modifications could be made to a MH, if so it had to be inspected by a FHA compliance inspector (which there are none). SO it was much to my amazement that we were told by the Denver folks at HUD, that the appraiser should use their judgement as to whether or not the modification created a health/safety issue and if not, it was OK.
But do not take my word, spend the 5 minutes and call the Denver office and get a persons name for verification of this.
If you do not know how to get in touch with them, email me directly and Iwill provide you with a name and number
Good Luck
Stacy

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Stacy, if you take your own advice, you are accepting the responsibility that the additions are acceptable and taking on the role of structural engineer etc. Its not your problem that there are no FHA compliance inspectors. FHA requires a compliance inspector, engineer, or home inspector. Get out of the loop ASAP. I am a HI and have a structural engineering background, and I would never, ever dare "use judgement" in such a case.:new_all_coholic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks