• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured Home Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgerarde

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hey,

I just completed an inspection for a single wide, manufactured home. Typically around here we see either a concrete perimeter foundation or metal jacks on concrete pads.

Today I saw metal jacks on what appears to be between a 3/4 to 1 inch squares of wood. :? Has anyonelse seen this??

Another appraiser mentioned it could be something called "greenboard". Now I know this is used in baths around the shower areas as it is water resistant. But I have not seen it as part of a foundation.

Any information would be appreciated. :D :D

Thanks,
Patti in Chino Valley

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Hopefully those were pretreated wood squares, that is acceptable to the state and HUD (depending on the type of foundation, which has to be certified by a professional engineer for HUD). By the way, Phoenix NAIFA chapter meeting tomorrow night Tues 11/19/02 at the China Doll in Phoenix--starts at 6PM. [email protected]

pgerarde

Professional Status
State
Arizona
JoAnn,

There was the little 'Installation" certification plate attached to the home and it was marked that it was "Block" (I also noticed that while all the other things marked on the plate were "checked" someone has put an "X" on the anchor box...it was not anchored, even I could see that...someone messing with the plate...)

But my question to you would be if the Installation plate is there, then it was installed to engineering specs??? Or should I still cover myself by stating it was wood and I am not qualified to say it was treated wood....?

Sure do wish there was a chapter up here in the Prescott area. Still miss the meetings after always having them available in my area when I was in California...

Thanks for your help. :D :D

Patti in Chino Valley

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
All the installation insignia means is that is was installed by a licensed installer. Hopefully that also means it was done correctly. There might be anchors there, they are very difficult to see, once perimeter enclosure is installed, you would have to crawl under the home for about 20 to 30 feet to find them. If it wasn't then the homeowner could file a complaint with the state licensing board for installers. Is the appraisal a conventional or a FHA? If a conventional you don't have to worry about an engineer. If FHA, then a requirement on the VC sheet would be that the foundation needs to be inspected by a professional engineer to certify that it meets HUD requirements--the appraiser doesn't want that responsibility! If you are concerned the home wasn't installed properly--call the person for Yavapai County that is responsible for inspecting the installation for the state. Might be someone in planning and zoning or in the health department--call the courthouse to find out who it is. If that person inspected it and has approved it (although a county employee, they represent the state in this case) then make a comment in your report that the home "appears to be installed per state requirements for a foundation". If it hasn't been inspected by the county employee--the home owner and the installer could have a problem and a fine to pay. And your appraisal would be subject to approval by the state. But the state and/or engineer for HUD loans is who determines if the home has been installed correctly--not the appraiser. The appraiser just describes what they can see and then tries to determine market reaction. Try to come to one of our meetings--I know it is a long drive but round up some Prescott people and car pool!! I have a 175 mile drive one way, but I have several daughters in the Phoenix area to borrow couches from for the night. An appraiser from Kingman (also a 175 mile one way trip) tries to make most of the meetings (but she has a mother in Phoenix that has a couch!).

pgerarde

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thanks for the clarification. It really does help.

Hey, I got a Mom in Apache Junction that has a couch too. I'll have to see what I can do. I will have to shedule it on my calendar or I'll always be too busy/up to my ears in writting up appraisals.

Take care and again THANKS. :D :D

Patti in Chino Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks