• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured home or not? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VolnteerApprsr

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I am currently appraising what was originally a single wide mobile home built approximately in 1971. First of all I understand that this construction date is prior to 1976. The lender has asked me to determine if this dwelling qualifies for an FHA loan from an appraisal standpoint. The dwelling over the past 30 plus years has been almost completely reconstructed to site built standards. I know, I know.......we have all been in that doublewide with an addition that now has a brick facade. But without the owner's honest input during the site/dwelling inspection, I would not have known that it had ever been a mobile home(I'm not a newbie....23 yrs exp.). The owner has torn down and replaced the roof system, the exterior/interior walls and replaced the floors(including the subfloors) at various stages over, mostly the past 15-20 years. The plumbing, electrical and heat/air systems have also been updated as well. The only evidence that the original mobile was ever there at all is the steele supports on the foundation. These beams have been set in concrete and surrounded by a new block foundation with an exterior poured concrete wall around that on the permiter of the dwelling. The dwelling is in immaculate condition. I must also state that there are no HUD tags anywhere to be found and that the local property assessor's office has noted the dwelling as site built based on a phone interview. I have also contacted a very well respected home inspector. The H/I has not seen the dwelling but stated that I may be doing the homeowner an injustice by defining the dwelling as manufactured. I need opinions. My problem with calling it site built and doing an FHA appraisal is that the undercarriage beams are visible upon inspection of the crawl space and the original construction predates 1976. Any input would be greatfully appreciated

Matt Mattina

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The key here is not to put any label or name on it.

It is not MNFC since pre 1976. And not stick built as some of the components are steel and from a 1971 mobile home.

The 1971 component should disqualify for FHA, anyway.....but,

Valuation Conditions you need are:
1. Structural engineer's inspection
2. Inspection, approval and certification by the local building authority that it was built [conforms] to local code, and the steel frame left in place has been inspected, accpeted and approved as a non-conventional construction method, etc.
3. Inspection by HUD/HCD inspector may also be necessary

I would not complete ANY appraisal without conditions for inspection by an engineer and local bulding authority.

Don't even try to decide if its "manufactured or not". Because either of those choices is misleading. Just tell it like it is, and turn it over to inspectors that have the authority to give the lender their blessing, or not.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
"the steel supports on the foundation"
If that is all that is remaining, I would feel comfortable in labeling the home as "site built". Of course, disclose the facts in the report.
"Once a trailer, always a trailer."
Na, I don't think so.
"determine if this dwelling qualifies for an FHA loan from an appraisal standpoint"
It certainly could qualify. The DE UW will make that decision.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
"the steel supports on the foundation"
If that is all that is remaining, I would feel comfortable in labeling the home as "site built". Of course, disclose the facts in the report.
"Once a trailer, always a trailer."
Na, I don't think so.
"determine if this dwelling qualifies for an FHA loan from an appraisal standpoint"
It certainly could qualify. The DE UW will make that decision.

What building code, if any, was followed in assembling this contraption? Is it safe? How long will it last? What would a buyer think about it? Why did HUD bother with developing and requiring a uniform, national building code?

Matt Mattina

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Greg,

The last time I called to verify permits with the State of CA, they told me they only keep the records of permits for two years. Have you heard of this?

Matt

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
No. But it wouldn't surprise me. Typical beaurocratic blundering to require permits and then not keep them. I think the records go to the city/county planning and building department and get filed there. I've seen a few when browsing through property files in Ukiah. Lakeport doesn't seem to want to let anyone handle their records. :shrug:

Matt Mattina

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Yeah, that was the problem. The owner swore they had obtained the permit... But, the County didn't have it and told me to call the State, and the State..well you know.

RustyLingerfelt

Professional Status
State
Georgia
We call these puppies trouses. In Georgia if it ever was or could be it is considered a manufactured home. HB 506 required the title to be given up in order for it to even qualify as real property. A t-234 must be filed with the county court. If no T-234 is filed it is not even considered real property it is personal property.

It is my opinion that this subject is not qualified to be FHA as it is and was at one time a 1971 manufactured home.

my opinion
Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks