• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured home or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
It won't let me see it -"I'm not the owner of this webshot". Please repost with the JPG imbedded.

Thanks
Roger

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Can't see the photo either. But it is immaterial what it looks like. The original building code that was followed when orignally constructed will determine if it is a manufactured home or not. To be a manufactured home, it would have been originally constructed in the factory to the HUD building code. The inspector in the factory would have attached a HUD label to the left rear of each section as it gos down the road (unless the end siding was installed after the unit set in place, in that case the HUD label would be at the left front and right rear as the long way facing the street). And if constructed to HUD code it doesn't matter what it looked like at time of original construction or what it looks like today.

Look for the building code!!!

B

Bemis Pownall

YA I KNOW BUT ITS A DRIVEBY????

I EVEN APPRASIED IT 10 YEARS AGO BUT CANT FIND MY FILES. IM PRETTY DARN SURE ITS MANUFACTURED. JUST THOUGHT I'D TOSS IT OUT THERE.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Then you have to start digging in building and assessment records!! How is the title held? If it is a manufactured home, then there has to be some procedure to enable it to be taxed as real property. When the home was installed, what type of information shows on the building permit? Can you call the homeowner? Ask how many and what type of tax bills they receive for the property? What type of paper work or title research has the client had done or is planning to do? They will need some kind of proof that the home is being taxed as real property--what documentation will be found? Are the current homeowners the original owners? Ask them where and who they bought the home from? What factory constructed the home?

If you want to see some photos of manufactured homes look at the following publication titled "A Community Guide to Factory-Built Housing"

http://www.huduser.org/publications/destec.../factbuilt.html

B

Bemis Pownall

JO ANN
BEFORE I STICK MY NECK OUT, OR ASK DUMB QUESTIONS HERE I CHECK ALL THE AVAILABLE SOURCES.
ASSESSORS AROUND HERE DONE TAKE THE TIME TO MAKE OUR JOBS ANY EASIER.."I KNOW ITS NOT A MOBILE HOME" WAS WHAT I GOT OUT OF ONE OF MY PHONE CALLS..BUILT IN 1985..

IVE DONE MANY MANU HOMES I KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE, THIS ONE LOOKED VERY MUCH LIKE A DOUBLE WIDE, BUT WITHOUT AN INSPECTION I JUST COULDNT MAKE THE CALL.(WISH I HAD MY OLD FILE ON THIS DOG-I DID IT LIKE 10 YRS AGO). IVE DONE A FEW STICK BUILTS THAT LOOK VERY MUCH LIKE MANUS. SO I ESPLAINED AWAY AND EVERYONE WILL BE MAD BUT MAYBE ILL GET TO GO INSIDE AND DO IT RIGHT.

JUS ANUTHA DAY IN PARADISE

:icecream:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Bernis,

My 0.02 Cents require and interior due to limited nature of information provided by the assessor records.

Ryan

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I agree with Ryan, it needs to be changed to an interior view so you can look for identification of building code. Until you can verify what building code was followed, you can not research for comparables. If the home was constructed to HUD code then you need comparables also constructed to HUD code (at least two the same building code and number of sections per Fannie Mae's Section 304 Factory Built Housing guidelines).
And my point to anyone that reads these postings (not necessarily you) is a person CAN NOT tell by looking at a home whether it is a manufactured or modular or site built home. The presence of a steel undercarriage doesn't indicate it is a manufactured or mobile home either because there are modular homes built to Uniform Building Code on steel undercarriages. So (for other posters) HUD building code equals a manufactured home, UBC, BOAC or other building code for a home constructed in a factory equals a modular home, UBC, BOAC or other building code partially constructed and completed on site in a factory equals a kit or panelized home. Industry code that might or might not have been followed and constructed prior to June 15, 1976 equals a mobile home.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Oops-my sentence should have read a home partially constructed in a factory and completed on site is a kit or panelized home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks