• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Manufactured Vs On-frame Modular

• Thread starter Deleted member 150397
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 150397

....please identify which comps are manufactured and which are on-frame modular. I know the difference but am interested to learn some of your responses to this request. My stance is that it is nearly impossible to determine with realtor photos and observations from the street in a rural, 2nd amendment supporting area... Go!!

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Pull the tax cards

Overimprovement

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kentucky
Did you intend to post pictures? Not seeing any...

D

Deleted member 150397

Thats one of the troubles in this particular market, it's so rural that the county has minimal information. The county records are generally incomplete at best, the issue is trying to figure out a comparable's construction when the MLS has agents selecting "manufactured/modular" as one category. Not to mention most realtors are unaware of the physical characteristics between the two that they could then use to make the judgement call and pin down the exact type of house. Without going to property and looking in crawlspace, inspecting HUD tags, looking for the marriage, or asking the homeowner what they bought and how it was placed it's impossible to know for sure. I think if lenders need to know these exacting specifications the 1004c form needs to be updated from the "manufactured house" "yes or no" box to identify the build and/or type of manufactured...in the meantime they are all manufactured....built in factories....

Sid Holderly

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
In some areas, the property card will not give any indication of which it is. My local county lists this for a know manufactured home: Style: 40 Newer conventional 1 story Occupancy: Single family ; and the same for know modular homes. A stick built will say only 1 story or 2 story. If it is not placed in the last year the placement permit will not be in an available file at the zoning office.

Phil McDonald

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Look at the building permit history. Modular is built to local building code and manufactured is built to HUD building code.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
My stance is that it is nearly impossible to determine with realtor photos and observations from the street in a rural, 2nd amendment supporting area..
modular vary wildly and agents call double wides modular. The key is the HUD code label. Gott'um? It's HUD code Manf. Modular meets local codes.
ook at the building permit history. Modular is built to local building code and manufactured is built to HUD building code.
what he said.

Overimprovement

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
Look at the building permit history. Modular is built to local building code and manufactured is built to HUD building code.
My area requires NO building permits, except in the few small cities I cover, of course there are very few mobiles in those cities either. The only permit required is a septic inspection. Its still the wild west in some areas...

Phil McDonald

Professional Status
State
Colorado
My area requires NO building permits, except in the few small cities I cover, of course there are very few mobiles in those cities either. The only permit required is a septic inspection. Its still the wild west in some areas...

That is a different world and a bit refreshing. Where I am at you are required to buiget alding permit to simply put up a fence.

The fact that building permits are not available does not help solve your appraisal problem.

I would just tell them that the information is not available and won't be provided. You can't provide what does not exist.

In my humble opinion the key to appraisal is to dig deep and uncover every possible detail and that is enough because nobody can ever prove you wrong if you do that. If the details are not available then just tell them and put it back on them to show you that those details can actually be produced.

We are appraisers, we are at a higher professional level than those we interact with in the process. We tell them how it is, they don't tell us.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
It is not always possible to determine whether an improvement is stick built, Modular or manufactured. If public records aren't available and MLS listings don't say or are unreliable an appraiser must rely on his own knowledge and experience. The question to be answered is " how does the market view the differing types of construction?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks