• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

marketing for a newbie.what ya got?

what marketing technique works best for you

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjvetrone

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
books, magazines, websites...anything that has helped you market before I would truly love to have. I feel like this is going to be a new duty in my resposibilities for the appraisal co. I work with. Anyone who wishes to offer advice, books, etc...it would be greatly appreciated. I will pay for the costs to ship and possibly the item if you feel it's worthy.

If anyone has taken a online class or knows of some good contacts im all ears. I truly love to learn new things in the appraisal field and would greatly appreciate any help...thanks for all the support on this site!!

i also posted my first poll! I'm sure it has been done before but what the heck i couldnt help it

Last edited:

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Minnesota
When I started, I put marketing packets together and went to all the local financial institutions with some prearranged meetings and others were cold calls.

I dressed in my best suit, listened to the clients needs, followed up with e-mails, letters, phone-calls etc.

If they say they already have an appraiser they use, I responded by saying I would very much like to be their number 2 appraiser as another option if their primary appraiser cannot meet a deadline, is on vacation, etc.

The best marketing is word-of-mouth. You can only get this marketing by providing a quality report and service.

Probably second best is a newsletter, market data, etc. via e-mail.

Chambers of commerce often times have many financial institution members and participating in a group may give you some leads.

You can certainly get your number at the websites offered, phonebook, chamber listings etc. Use all of the free services available. I look for the repeat clients as opposed to the general public as these are often one-timers, but can be good gap fillers.

Bottom line is you have to go make it happen. Sitting in an office hoping the phone rings will make you hungry. Even when you are busy, the first thing you should do every morning is take care of your existing clients. It's much easier to keep a client than to get a new one. Second, spend a little time working on new clients.

appraisaltoday.com has a 220 page marketing book for around $30.00.

Hope some of this helps,

Scott J. Lanz

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
Chambers of commerce often times have many financial institution members and participating in a group may give you some leads.
This is very true in my area, and the costs aren't that bad. It's a great way to meet people who will use your services in a more relaxed environment

Vermonter

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Vermont
Network- go to the local realtor/banker/business meetings/lunches/seminars/charity functions to meet people and hand out cards. Make up some brief handouts with the basics and a few detailed ones with resume, samples and detailed services.

This is where I get 95% of my work or leads on work. It's a foot in the door and then it's word of mouth from there.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Just a simple rule of thumb.

Try to make each assignment lead to the next one. When you finish one, start asking what the client has going on:

If it is a broker, ask him if he has anything going on in the same S/D since you have just analyzed the area, you can get one in quick.

If it is an individual, ask if there is anyone else in the nieghborhood who may want to know what their house is worth.

If it is a realtor, ask if the seller has picked out a new house yet...

I always want to let the last job lead me to the next one. In the car business--I know, I know...we always said your best lead was the last customer you closed business with--they already trust you and know that they can do business with you. They are the best source of new business. If I were to be in to self loathing, and cutting fees, I would much rather cut a fee to get the second job....not to get the first one.

Good luck, I didn't have the pressure to recruit new business when I was a trainee.

KenRossman

Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree with Larry...

For individuals, I also ask them to keep me in mind if any of their neighbors, friends or nearby family has a need for an appraisal. I then quickly list all the potential possibilities (pre-listing, pre-purchase, estate, matrimonial, bail bond, tax grievance, pmi-elimination yada yada and ask if they know anyone who might currently need any of the mentioned appraisal services. If they say yes, I ask for the contact info and permission to use (the current clients) name as a reference when contacting them (most say ok - sure...). I put a business card magnet on the fridge in addition to handing out business cards. This has resulted in a substantial additional work over the years at near zero "cost".

KenRossman

Professional Status
State
Florida
Another somewhat offbeat marketing strategy.

Most appraisers can't get away fast enough when someone approaches when they are taking comp photos...

People will frequently come up to you to ask what you are doing when you stop to take a comp photo and jot down your notes. Unless the person approaching me is armed, is a "gang" type or otherwise looks dangerous, I look at a homeowner etc. coming out to me as an opportunity to learn about the house or area etc. and sometimes even a marketing opportunity.

Regardless of whether I am in an inner city or suburban area, most people are reasonably friendly & usually just curious. I always give them my magnet business card (whether they ask for it or not as well as explain what I am doing. I then ask about the house (in many of the inner city areas there is limited or no MLS & public record information is very limited), what condition was it in at the time of the sale?, were any kitchens or bathrooms remodeled?, is the basement finished?, are there any extensions or dormers in the rear?, any special amenities any problems with the house? Where there any seller or financing concession? etc. etc. Most people will tell you anything you ask except the price : ) & will even confirm the price if you say something like "according to public record 123 Elm St sold on November 3rd 2007 for $425,000" Is that correct?"

So slow down & you just might learn something We even get work occasionally from the people we talk & hand out business cards to (maybe ten or twelve years ago I was taking a comp photo and a neighbor came over to see what I was doing. We exchanged a few questions & answers. He hired me on the spot for an estate appraisal on his house his wife had passed away & he had been procrastinating getting the appraisal done. A few weeks later I got an assignment from this client to appraise thirteen small to medium size apartment buildings he owned for transfer to an LLC corp). about five years or so later I re-appraised all the properties again when he semi-retired and set up a trust for his children.

Just be courteous & answer their questions usually most homeowners are very interested in values & will sometimes talk your ear off if you let them.

PaulNHS

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Arizona
Whatever form you use make sure that you own it. If you are going to do something then you should do it right and to the best of your ability. Make sure you try some how to relate to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks