• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Marketing for Legal (Lawyer) work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I have decided to try marketing for legal work. I would like to build my client data base with less Mortgage work. Talked to a good freind/lawyer about this the other day. He gave me some suggestions on how to market and what to say. His big demand for Appriasals is Estate work.

I know that lawyers handle estates and divorce regularly. What other types of cases would appraisals be regularly needed? I am looking for the "Key" words to put in my letter.

Also doing estate work I am thinking that Retro Appraisals would come up now and then? Those of you that that do legal work I would appreciate you input and any pointers.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Jeff, maybe you could go see the Probate Judge for some ideas or leads. I would bet that he/she would know everyone that does that line of work, and may have some ideas for you.

Maybe even ask your CPA about getting work from other CPA's.

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
State
Utah
Jeff,
Appraisal review, easement valuations, eminent domain, expert witness, historical values, tax assessment review, market activity, real estate consulting, as is and as repaired values, market value, liquidation value, highest and best use are just a few that have been requested by my attorney clientele. It is a pretty closed market in my area. Most lawyers work on a referral from other lawyers and it can be hard to break into this arena. Once your accepted as an expert witness in court it does give you a leg up on marketing.

Chris

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
>>Maybe even ask your CPA about getting work from other CPA's.<<

THANKS!! I thought about that last week and then forgot about it. I kept thinking that there was another professional group I wanted to market to and couldn't remember who it was. Age is catching up with me I guess. :)

I don’t know our Probate Judge but it might be a good time to visit with him. I testified once before him but that was it. Estate case and the other side didn’t have a lawyer (or a case for that matter) and it was easy. Once I was on the stand the hardest questions came from the lawyer I was working for. I saw real quick why you never represent yourself in court!

>>Most lawyers work on a referral from other lawyers and it can be hard to break into this arena<<

No surprise there. Fortunately my friend is a well respected attorney and State Senator so I can use him as a reference. I have done a couple of jobs for him and I believe he will also give me referrals too. But yea I don't expect it is an easy to field to break into but nothing else has been easy for me either in appraising. :) Buts that another story.

Thanks for all list of types of work you have done Chris. That is just what I was looking for.

A

Anonymous

Most of my attorney work is for bankrupcy. With the way sales prices and refinancing is going I expect this to be a growth opportunity.

Professional Status
General Public
State
North Carolina
Jeff

Ditto what every one else says.

One other idea. Ask if there are any local groups of attorneys who meet monthly to discuss topics in their legal specialty.

I do (at least until I retired last year to go sailing) a lot of equitable distribution (divorce) cases. The attorneys who specialize in this work have local meetings to discuss legal issues and law changes and othe rprofessional topics over breakfast. I was asked to meet with them about once a year to discuss aprpaisal and USPAP topics. These attorneys almost always hired me to do there work, and often agreed to hire me to do work for both sides. I convinced them one appraisal, well done with full disclosure to both sides, was cheaper and better for their clients even though I charged more.

This local meeting also lead to a 2 hour presentation to the state bar for the attorenys continuing education. Even 5 years after this presentation, I was still getting calls for appraisal services from this, not jsut on ED work, but for environmental work, right of way, etc.

If you do good quality work, and are willing to defend your work in court, you will have all the business you can handle.

Regards

Tm Hildebrandt GAA

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
We did a mass mailing to all the lawyers in the yellow pages. Got a few assignments but over all not a major segment of the market for us. Probably get a half a dozen estate assignments and about the same amount of divorce cases a year. Expect slow pay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks