• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Master bedr.OOps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punalava

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Hawaii
What do you guys call the bedroom (usually larger than the others) that has its own bathroom?
Its usually referred to as a Master bedroom, but some appraisers are now calling it a Main bedroom because the word Master may be taken as condescending or insensitive to some. Main bedroom doesn't sound good to me so any other suggestions are appreciated.

Indiana Jones

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
What do you guys call the bedroom (usually larger than the others) that has its own bathroom?
Its usually referred to as a Master bedroom, but some appraisers are now calling it a Main bedroom because the word Master may be taken as condescending or insensitive to some. Main bedroom doesn't sound good to me so any other suggestions are appreciated.

Now I've heard everything.

So Political Correctness is rearing its ugly head in our reports now?

Give me a break.

Last edited:

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
I'ts always been the master bedroom. Master of the house gets their own bathroom. Why re-invent the wheel? Suite implies bedroom, small living area and bath.

Tawfik Ahdab

Professional Status
State
Oregon
I remember some government honchos frowning at "master bedroom" in the early-to-mid-90's just when Clinton's victory caused political correctness to explode in this land.

Thanks for the flashback and the snicker.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I call it the owners suite if it has a bath.

And yes sadly .. we have for years avoided the word Master ... the connotations are not worth the stips or ill feelings of others. One must be sensitive to their clients no matter what your personal opinion is.

Last edited:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I'ts always been the master bedroom. Master of the house gets their own bathroom. Why re-invent the wheel? Suite implies bedroom, small living area and bath.

Many are enlarged BRs with Sitting/Private open Den Areas, double walk-ins, and bath whirltub and steam showers.

ceiling trapezes are optional.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I is the Master of My House and the Master of all that I own. So it is the Master Bedroom or Master work room with King Size Work Bench and Master Bath.:clapping: :clapping:

To H with being PC.

Punalava

Professional Status
State
Hawaii
I'm having a hard time calling a 12' x 10' bedroom with an 8' x 6' bathroom in an entry level home a "Suite". Sounds like I'm misleading my client!!!

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
I is the Master of My House and the Master of all that I own. So it is the Master Bedroom or Master work room with King Size Work Bench and Master Bath.:clapping: :clapping:

To H with being PC.

I'm with you Ray. I have a MASTER.....hmmm. Well my wife....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks