• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Masters Degree in Real Estate Valuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coleman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Carolina
Has anyone looked into the Appraisal Institute approved Masters’ Degree Programs offered at several Universities around the country. From what I understand, you are in school for a Masters Degree in Real Estate with a Valuation Concentration. While in this program, one also earns the majority of the requirements to get the MAI designation. What do you think the benefits of a Masters Degree could do for a CG? Do you think that a MS would make one that much more marketable?

Below is the Link for the program

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/membership/downloads/Masters_Degree_Prg.doc

Luzette Eaves

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
It will certainly make you more valuable. Esp. to the high end national firms. Go for it!

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I have been looking at the program at St. Thomas University in Minnesota. As soon as I finish up my MAI work I will be working on the Masters.

I think the contacts and education, etc. would be well worth it. The payoff may not be immediate, but the long term should be.

Scott J. Lanz

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Masters

I have been looking at the program at St. Thomas University in Minnesota. As soon as I finish up my MAI work I will be working on the Masters.

I think the contacts and education, etc. would be well worth it. The payoff may not be immediate, but the long term should be.

Scott J. Lanz

Maybe Steve Smith will chime in. He says he is prouder of his masters than he is of his MAI.

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
I went through the masters program at A&M in the early 80's. At that point is was geared toward agriculture. It has since been moved to the Mays Business School at A&M and has evolved considerably. I still attend annual gatherings as I have a good many friends that went though, but it is very much geared toward commercial, developement, finance, etc. The contacts are certainly worth the price of admission.

Workbox

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I rather have a Masters than an MAI/SRA, it is a title that is yours, instead of renting.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Kind of the way you rent your license?

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If I'm not mistaken the Univ of Florida still has an intensive real estate program, up to a PhD. Not sure how it works today, but 20+ years ago part of the undergrad degree went toward meeting the requirements of the MAI/AI designation.

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I don't see the costs as renting, rather an investment. My associate dues, classes and etc. were around $1,000 this year. I had two phone calls from clients who found me on the AI website. Total fees to those two clients, $11,500. I had a couple more I turned down for various reasons.

Scott J. Lanz

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
State
California
I got my MS in Real Estate at Southern Methodist University in 1984. It allowed me to start out at a higher level than I otherwise could have done in the appraisal field. I went to work for Jones Lang Wootton appraising regional malls and skyscrapers owned by foreign investors. It also allowed me to teach part-time at the university level. I don't think an MS trumps a designation, but it is a good way to achieve a certain amount of credibility and respectability before one has amassed a lot of professional experience.

Timing is everything, too. I remember the recession of the early 1990s and getting resumes from so many unemployed Master's in Real Estate holders from good schools, like Columbia and USC. The bottom line is when commercial real estate is hot, these degrees can jumpstart a career; when commercial real estate is down, the only jobs available are for the most experienced appraisers.

VM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks