• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Meaningful Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
I for one believe that education is important. But, the question is, how much and what kind of education? For example, appraisers very often end up taking courses in the same subject over and over again, year after year. In some states you can take the required 7 Hour USPAP update and fulfill that mandatory subject, but, in some states, your can take it a 2nd time and it will count as "general appraisal knowledge" and get a 2nd 7 hour credit in the same renewal period.

Having taught courses to real estate agents, brokers, and appraisers since 1984, there is very often, very little that is new under the sun when it comes to education. With one exception........USPAP. I believe the 7 hour update course is flawed. It should easily be 14-15 hours, and with an exam to at least measures what has been learned, not necessarily to renew a license/certification.

The most common issues that really need revamping, in my opinion, are the subjects within the Advisory Opinions and the Frequently asked questions. I would like to see a seperate course in those subjects. The most often asked questions I get, and having taught in many states, coast to coast, and for many years, are the same questions over and over again as it relates to the AO's and FAQ's. I doubt that many, if not most appraisers never see a FAQ unless they are taking a USPAP course, and have no clue that most questions asked by appraisers have a definite answer either n the AO's or the FAQ's.

When I get a call, or an e-mail, as I often do, I can find an answer in USPAP, the AO's or the FAQ's usually in less than 5 minutes. But, I do understand the problem. USPAP is changed so often that it is a major concern for the individual appraiser, and state boards, to keep up with the changes, and even more difficult to keep up with their meaning as expressed in an AO or in an FAQ.

I believe we need to have a major study, and then a revamping or our entire appraiser education requirements.......and stop tweeking and changing USPAP so often.

Just wondering if anyone else had any similar concerns?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
if they "stop tweeking and changing USPAP so often" how are they going to keep the interested parties happy??

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
if they "stop tweeking and changing USPAP so often" how are they going to keep the interested parties happy??

The basic standards have not changed since the time I received my first copy of USPAP, late 1980's by Fax so i could teach the course to appraisers working to get the required education so the could get their original license/certifications.

Here is a thought......how about allowing the AQB Certified USPAP Instructor teach the course and only use the content of the course where he or she knows there is the most need. For example......I have seen more and more post on the forum about what you can do after you have completed an assignment, and the client changes the sales price, makes other changes, ask for revision after revision. There are good answers to all of that in the FAQ's and AO's. Use local or state originated case examples.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I remember when it was a requirement to take the 15 hour USPAP class every 5 years which included a test.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I have been a long time advocate that a much broader base of real estate courses should count toward appraisal CE requirements. The entire industry would benefit greatly from appraisers participating in courses about real estate brokerage, property and asset management, mortgage brokerage, development, etc. Courses provided by CCIM, IREM, BOMA, ULI, MBA, ABA among others should be allowed as part of appraiser CE rather than having to go through additional expense and unnecessary hoops to qualify for approvals.

This is not unlike the broad based CE education allowed by the legal and accounting professions. Practitioners will gain a greater understanding of not only the entire transaction process but that of the real estate investment holding period and occurrences, processes and motivation for decisions throughout the entire property lifecycle.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The most common issues that really need revamping, in my opinion, are the subjects within the Advisory Opinions and the Frequently asked questions. I would like to see a seperate course in those subjects. The most often asked questions I get, and having taught in many states, coast to coast, and for many years, are the same questions over and over again as it relates to the AO's and FAQ's. I doubt that many, if not most appraisers never see a FAQ unless they are taking a USPAP course, and have no clue that most questions asked by appraisers have a definite answer either n the AO's or the FAQ's.
I agree and (my bold) would consider taking such a course b/c I think it would be beneficial

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I agree that the CE needs a revamp, and wish that the offerings out there were a bit more diverse. There are some pretty weak courses out there, and some of the opportunities to get CE credits are pretty weak, also. I remember going to an Appraisal Institute chapter meeting and an expert on fracking had a discussion (where protesters barged in at one point). He talked plenty about how fracking was completely fine and safe, but when questions were posed in relation to real estate, he didn't really have a good answer and went back to his technical discussion on the chemicals used in the process, etc.

I disagree with expanding USPAP. I've only been appraising for ten years and have already attended six USPAP courses. We hear much of the same material every two years. Personally, I think that sticking just to USPAP changes in a four hour class every two years would be more appropriate, and we could spend the remaining time studying for a quick exam to make sure that there is no knowledge drain of the basics.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I agree that the CE needs a revamp, and wish that the offerings out there were a bit more diverse. There are some pretty weak courses out there, and some of the opportunities to get CE credits are pretty weak, also. I remember going to an Appraisal Institute chapter meeting and an expert on fracking had a discussion (where protesters barged in at one point). He talked plenty about how fracking was completely fine and safe, but when questions were posed in relation to real estate, he didn't really have a good answer and went back to his technical discussion on the chemicals used in the process, etc.

I disagree with expanding USPAP. I've only been appraising for ten years and have already attended six USPAP courses. We hear much of the same material every two years. Personally, I think that sticking just to USPAP changes in a four hour class every two years would be more appropriate, and we could spend the remaining time studying for a quick exam to make sure that there is no knowledge drain of the basics.

Not disparaging anyone, but............................look at the basic questions asked over and over on this forum and then tell me again that we don't need not only a revamp, but more hours and an exam to at least measure what was learned.

Even when you give someone an answer, quote chapter and verse, there are some that ask questions, and will not read for themselves what you have referred to, and where to find the answer.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Not disparaging anyone, but............................look at the basic questions asked over and over on this forum and then tell me again that we don't need not only a revamp, but more hours and an exam to at least measure what was learned.

Even when you give someone an answer, quote chapter and verse, there are some that ask questions, and will not read for themselves what you have referred to, and where to find the answer.
We are on the same page on the exam. But I think that there are many whose brain goes on autopilot in CE courses that do not require an exam. That is just a consequence of the current setup. Looks like where we disagree is the additional hours. I believe that these courses could be condensed down by at least a couple hours-that's where you fit your exam in. You have the threat of an exam hanging over everyone's head and they don't coast or not pay attention. Perhaps as an added bonus, you don't get dumb questions on the appraisers forum website ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks