• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Measure A House To The Foot, The 1/2 Foot Or Tenths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubberchicken

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Third time in past month that I've seen a sketch with all measurements rounded to either the full foot or the half foot so I figured I will just ask -- Do you round your measurements?.

I measure a house to the 1/10th of a foot. It's on both my tape measure and my laser and its just as easy to type and write 25.7 into the sketch as 26.0 and I feel the end result is more accurate.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I measure a house to the 1/10th of a foot.
The question is why? You are likely fooling yourself if you really think your measurements are that accurate.

It is likely that there is more than 1/10th of a foot of bow in your tape measure if you pull it across of a 40 or 60 foot run unless you pull that tape measure extremely tight while measuring and also hold that tape measure exactly at the same level above the ground as where you have the dumb end of the tape hooked onto the opposite corner of the house you are measuring. It is also likely that your laser measure is off by more than 1/10th of a foot over the same distance unless you have the laser measuring device mounted on a tripod and you are aiming the laser at a target that is the same distance from the ground as the top of the tripod. (over a 60 foot run, if you point your laser at a target that is 1 foot different in elevation at the other end of that 60 foot span, the error will be 0.09993057 of a foot and that is assuming that your aim is completely square in the horizontal axis (which is not very likely)

Last edited:

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Smaller simple homes, I typically round to the nearest foot. On bigger properties with more corners, I'll round to the nearest 1/2'
Any smaller won't make a difference...and the market certainly doesn't care.

Same with you're adjustments. Round them to $2,500 or higher. (unless you're appraising a dog house) You can't support smaller variances in the market.

rubberchicken

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
The question is why? You are likely fooling yourself if you really think your measurements are that accurate.

It is likely than 1/10th of a foot of a bow in your tape measure if you pull it across of a 40 or 60 foot run unless you pull that tape measure extremely tight while measuring and also hold that tape measure exactly at the same level above the ground as where you have the dumb end of the tape hooked onto the opposite corner of the house you are measuring. It is also likely that your laser measure is off by more than 1/10th of a foot over the same distance unless you have the laser measuring device mounted on a tripod and you are aiming the laser at a target that is the same distance from the ground as the top of the tripod. (over a 60 foot run, if you point your laser at a target that is 1 foot different in elevation at the other end of that 60 foot span, the error will be 0.09993057 of a foot and that is assuming that your aim is completely square in the horizontal axis (which is not likely)

Actually, the question is not why? The question is - Do you round your measurements? I was just wondering how many appraisers out there round their measurements. I rarely see it in my market and seeing 3 in the past month is unusual.

And, FWIW, being 0.09993057 of a foot off is still less than being 0.3 feet off.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I round to the nearest foot or half foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks