• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Measurement Disclaimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

William jackson

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Does anyone out there use their own disclaimer regarding the subject sketch/floorplan/GLA. I was wondering if its a good idea since I'm occasionally off + or - regarding GLA. Any samples would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, William

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
William:

I don't pesonally reccommend putting in a disclaimer about possible varience in size determination, it sort of sends the reader off in a witch-hunt kinda direction :eek: .

I do state that interior room and wall labels are for visualization/descriptive purpose ONLY and are not to scale. Exterior (perimeter measures) are per ANSI standards.

Many of the MLS services have an all-purpose disclaimer: All measurements are believed to be reasonably correct to within 5% of actual size but are not warrented to be accurate.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hi William

On my floor plans I give dimensions and then a canned statement as follows

?FL. XXXXSF, NOT TO SCALE, SCHEMATIC ONLY

Regards Hal

rtubbs

Don't know if it's needed but I use the following disclaimer on new construction:

"Finished square footage calculations for this house are made based on plan dimensions only and may vary from the finished square footage of the house as built."

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Fellow Appraisers,

What you choose to do or not do with respect to your sketch is your business. However, have you ever taken the time to read paragraph #2 on Page #1 of Fannie Mae Form 1004B (6-93)? How about paragraph #2 on Page #2 of Fannie Mae Form 2055?

It appears we are sometimes inclined to get carried away with disclaimers and "outs".

My $0.02.....

Frank

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Frank,

I could not agree with you more. The cert and limitation pages also say other things like comps selection reasoning and environmental disclaimers, etc.

Problem we have all had at one time or another is that no one even reads these pages. Not UW's, not LO's, not even appraisers.

Then out of fear of lawsuits, fear of Appraisal boards, fear of reviews appraisers started adding extensive reduncy in there reports.

Whats the answer? I dont know as an indstry. I only know that I say what I mean and mean what I say and only high lite via addendum, those things of SPECIAL interest.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
In the box opposite the cost approach I have a comment about information from Marshall/Swift and the following. "Measurements are approximate and rounding may occur". That always brings up this question. Do you measure to the nearest .25, .50, or 1.0 foot? Our public records are to the nearest .50 foot so that is what I recommend to my students but then quite often I measure to the nearest .25 foot myself.

When my brother was teaching appraisal for the University of Colorado, he would do a "field trip appraisal" and use my house because it was close to the University and also a very simple ranch style home with full finished basement. Just imagine 25 to 30 appraiser wanna be's traipsing through and abound your house a couple of times a year. Was always interesting to see their appraisals. The house had 1050 square feet on the main and 1050 square feet in the basement for a total of 2100 square feet. The students would come up with some of the strangest numbers for size ranging from 980 to 1100 for each level. It also had a half bath of the master bedroom but when you opened the door to the bedroom it hid the door to the bath. About half of the students would miss that too.

There are about a half a dozen exercises in the registered appraisers course book that require measuring. Always fun to see the different numbers that pop up. Great way to start a fight in the class. I finally decided to have the students work together in groups of 3 or 4 people for that type of exercise.

Students always ask..."what do I use for the comparables square footage when there is a difference between what the public record and MLS says. I tell them to use the public record because I believe it to be "more correct on a consistent basis" and if a reviewer checks your work they will most likely pull the public record. We are seeing more and more agents using the public record information now instead of their own for this reason. Anyone remember that argument in another forum from the old appraiser who insisted on going out and measuring the comps himself???? :rofl:

John Wilson

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Just don't forget to add the Discalimer , "Disclaimer" :D

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
"The reader of this report is cautioned that any and all statements, measurements, supposed facts, and estimates of value are subject to change, corrrection or other alterations by the appraiser at any time. We further disclaim any and all disclaimers except those that are pertinent to keeping us out of court." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks