• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Measuring New Construction-Home Has Just Been Framed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
A new construction has been framed, but has no drywall or windows yet. If an agent needed the SF of the dwelling for listing purposes, how would (or could) one measure this? Would the agent need to wait until the home is further along in construction, or is it reasonable to measure the framing and add on for drywall, siding, etc.?

jim farrelly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
jessica,

a real estate agent would make it up. as an appraiser, i'd ask for a copy of the plans and make appraisal subject to completion per plans and specs. good luck

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
If the home is not substantially completed....ask for a set of plans and do it from the plans. You can't measure what you can't see.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Is the foundation there? My first appraisal teacher taught to measure the foundation. Using the plans would be the best idea until the exterior walls are up and you know exactly where the garage, porches, etc will be that are not counted in the GLA.

What's the matter with the Realtor? Correctly measuring a house was one of the first things I was taught as a new Realtor. Course, that was 30 years ago and I guess they're too prissy for that now.

OK, I'll slap myself on the hand for that.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
If the walls are framed and at the sheathing stage, but no siding yet, add .3 inches for siding on each end, measuring exterior end to exterior end. If measuring from the corner to end, add .3 inches for the one exterior wall side only. It's kinda hard to 'splain this in a post, but easier to understand when looking at a set of plans.

P.S. If doing this from plans, be sure to determine if the measurements on the plans are for "on center" or to the ends. If on center, you need to add half of the framed wall, plus the exterior siding. Sorry, I know what I am trying to say, don't know if I can say it really well in words...... I'm a much better hands on teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks