• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Measuring Transitionals, Homes with "Cutouts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Does anyone have any tips and/or best practice strategies for a newbie on how to measure the 2-story homes with cutouts? I've done a couple, but they still don't seem to be getting easier. There was one that really had me worried, but, luckily the owner had the original plans, which helped a lot. :eek: :wink: Is this just something that gets easier with time?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Use graph paper, 1 inch equals 10', then each tiny square is a square foot. Use an engineer's tape that is in tenths. As you measure around the exterior, make little notes, arrows, x's, etc to note where fences, doors, bushes, furnture, garbage can, etc are located. Then step back to see the upper story, note which walls line up with which object you noted with your x's, notes, etc. Then take a second graph page, begin a sketch of the upper level. Now when you are inside, line up interior walls, doors, furnture, etc with those exterior x's, etc and walls on the upper level. Then on the upper level do some interior measuring, again trying to match up with the x's on each sketch. The ten grid and the tape in tenths make it much easier to square, and match up. Then when you do the sketch in Apex, use the free form line to draw your first level, use it again to draw your second level on top of the the first level, see where things match up. Then to can go to the side and draw out the upper level, because you will get more clues on how the various levels line up. After free form drawing in Apex, and everything is clear, neat and tidy-then select your calculated area to do your final drawing of each level.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I try to get as many 2nd floor exterior measurements as I can while measuring the first floor. Yes, you can eyeball a wall on the 2nd floor within a 10th or 2. Also, if you can, try to find a corner that matches a first floor wall. Then, on a 2nd page of graph paper, copy the first floor and insert your known 2nd floor measurements and locations. Then, working from that point, start measuring interior walls. What you end up doing is measuring points from known points. It will all come together.

Good luck.

Claudia Cullen

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
The previous posts have excellent advice. I would add take as many exterior pictures of your subject as possible. Whenever I do an old home, I always take my usual front and rear shots, but I'll add side views whenever possible. It really helps me remember what I saw.
Claudia

B

Bemis Pownall

when drawing the sketch, winsketch lets up move an area,,this way you can "stack" them on top of each other, then look for the relationships...corners, over hangs do they look like they did when you were out in the field? look at your picture and like mentioned prior take lots of picutures esp the weird places,,,a little guess work and before you know it its closed.
Now the disto makes getting the open areas a snap to measure..on hard 2 storys and alomost all 2 storys anymore I measure interior and exterior. w/disto you can do all these measurements in a short amount of time.

I once said"I dont need no stinking Disto" boy was I wrong!

good ruck! :drinking:

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
Graph paper - first floor is solid lines, second floor offsets are dotted lines. Use any and all available points of reference to locate the offsets. Then a quick freehand outline of the second floor with room locations.

When drawing the sketch on the computer, draw the first floor, copy that section then move/alter the walls to reflect the offsets.

G-man

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have found sonic measuring devices very handy when measuring a home, especially newer dwellings with open front foyers and the like. I currently use a Zircon DMS40. It is fairly accurate, although it hates measuring anything under four feet. But for most areas of a home, it is a godsend. It is especially helpful when appraising condos and attached dwelling where you physically cannot measure the exterior of the home. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks