• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mentors Not Paying?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelinaWynn

Freshman Member
First I must say I have been greatly awakened by this profession. I am still a trainee, and have acctually found 3 different mentors to take me in. Sounds great so far huh? Well the first one owes me $3200, the second one owes me $675, I didn't let that one get to far, experienced now! The third one is a dream. Is it typical for a mentor to just not pay the trainee? If everything was a verbal contract, can I do anything to get my money, and yes, I did the work!! He says that he will pay when he gets paid. How do I know if he has been paid? I only know he is not paying me, or the 2 other people that worked for him. I have been told the check is in the mail, nothing arrives. Any advice out there? Would love to know what to do. Would also like to warn anyone else these guys take in. Thanks for your help. Angelina

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Angelina, I honestly don't know if there is anything you can do. As far as going to court, a verbal contract is nothing but your word against his. The only thing I know you can do is keep being the squeaky wheel, thorn in the side, most irritating debtor. But unfortunately, it sounds as if your previous mentor is in a really tight money crunch, so it may take a while..... if ever. :(
Good luck, and glad you found a better mentor. :)

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I hope all the newbies on this forum are reading this thread. It is, indeed, a danger. If appraisal fraud is so rampant, I am sure we have plenty of appraisers out there who do not pay their help. Its pretty sad when you can't get paid your 30%.

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
Having come to this profession from the legal field, I have just two words on the subject: WRITTEN AGREEMENT

Works every time! :twisted:

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
Court is the answer. If you have gotten any checks from them than go to court and let them explain exactly what the check was for. Than give the court a list of the appraisals that you did and make them produce their copy. If you name is on the app than you deserve to get paid, If it's not than contact the state board for him altering the appraisal

Can't hurt. You shpuld have your coppies....

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
Angelina,

Allen has a good point. Is your name anywhere on the appraisals you did? Do you have copies?

Another thing to try is to check the public records for the properties you appraised. Have the sales closed? (Don't know if you're state is a public disclousre state or not.) If you have copies of the appraisals in question, call the clients and see if your former employer has been paid. If they're reluctant to talk to you, tell them they can answer the question now or be subpoenaed and answer it in court. Send a letter to your former employer detailing what he owes you for which reports. Give him ten business days to take care of it or tell him you'll be forced to take it to small claims court, send a letter to your state's attorney general about his witholding money from your and turn him in to your state appraisal board for unethical and possibly illegal business practices.

Mary advocates a wriiten agreement. Be VERY careful with these! Have an attorney review any such agreement with you before you sign anything! I can't stress this enough!

Good luck to you.

AngelinaWynn

Freshman Member
I would like to thank all of the people that have responded. I will be taking him to court. He(2nd 0ne) at this point, claims that they were COD, or invoiced and not paid yet. The only COD was made out to him. The other ones closed, and he was paid. I am in the process of getting all the papers for that. The 1st one, is in the process of trying to get paid on all the ones that I am owed on. I don't know if I can get money from him until he is paid. But I may try anyway. I wouldn't have any proof that he is ever paid on them anyway. I do have all the reports that I did though. I would like to know if it is appropriate for the trainee to not sign, just add that it was assisted by trainee? The first two had me just add that. Thanks again for all your help.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hello Angelina;

I dont have too much new to add to what others have told you, but I want to reinforce what others have said.

1. Don't be gentle, it's your money he is holding whether he has been paid or not. Try telling the grocer that you will pay for grocerys when you get paid.

2. Tell him that you will absolutely do the following if you are not paid in full within 3 business days;
a- Tha you will file a detailed complaint with your appraisal commission

b- You will contact all the lenders and tell them that you have not
been paid and you may seek payment from them, (mostly a bluff to
Mr. deadbeat

c- That you will be contacting the Attorney General of your state with a
complaint.

d- That you will also contact any professional groups he may be a
member of, ie Appraisal Institute, IAFA and that you will file a
grievance (sp?)

This is your basic armageddon mode. No physical treats, but his @#%^$#@% world is about to come to a thunderous end.

You dont say whether you have a family or not to support, but you are owed approx 4K and it is better in your pocket than his/theirs.

If he extended credit to people who didnt pay him that's his problem dont let it become yours.

All I can say to you and anyone else, make sure you have a file on each and every job you do, even if your mentor maintains the "real file" in the office, and make sure you are acknowledged and sign each report and have a copy in your possession.

Now go get him GRRRRR

regards and good luck

Hal

AngelinaWynn

Freshman Member
Thanks Hal, I am in the process of contacting all the lenders right now. As for a family, yes, I am the single mom of 4 kids. Like I said, I am ver thankful for all the support and suggestions from all that have responded. It has helped me to get up the courage to follow through with this. This is from my 4 yr old, :usa: Have a wonderful weekend to all of you! Also, as an added note, the man I work for now is an Angel, he pays upon completion of report, and he is just a dream to work for. I wish that everyone could find someone like this to work for. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks