• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Metal Roof- FHA appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Bee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have an order for an old farm house that has a metal roof. The buyer is doing an FHA loan and loan officer asked me if FHA would have any problems with a metal roof? Would this be an issue for an FHA loan?

uncle fish

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
metal roofs can be used to cover up things. just inspect the roof thouroughly from attic or scuttle.

NHunsicker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
My parents have a metal roof on their house. Depending on how it is done, they can actually be quite superior to many other types of roof, especially in durability and longevity. I can't imagine FHA having a problem with it as long as it's doing it's job properly.

Gadget Keeper

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Montana
We have lots of metal roofs in our area due to the snow. They are great and last forever except in cases where there is wind. I note many screws are pulled up and the roof is not fastened down anymore if the wind has had time to "work" at the roof if owners don't note it. Just make sure the screws are fastened down. If done correctly, they won't leak for next to forever. I see metal roofs 50+ years with no issues.

Laurie

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Metal roofs are not a problem if they are installed correctly. There may be problems if there is a lot of rust present such as leaks and seals. It may be necessary to condition for a Kool Seal of the roof. I've done several appraisals for the FHA which have metals roofs.

Gadget Keeper

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Montana
Just to add, I have been completeing FHA for 18 years and have always had a metal roof go through without any issues--as long as the roof was good. FHA fully accepts them as far as I know. Hope that helps. :)

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The key issue is......has it been installed correctly to meet FHA MPS? Specific overlapping is required as is the nailing schedule. Multiple nail pops are a function of roof maintenance and may require a roof inspection and repairs. If you cannot determine whether or not it was installed properly, you might want to call for a roof inspection by a licensed roofing contractor. You cannot appreciate the terror of a flying 4 X 8 sheet of galvanized or anodized metal during strong winds or a tornado until you have actually seen it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks